Purchasing LR w/ Coraline algae to cycle a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Latitude_change

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am still setting up the tank (58g FOWLR), as I need a few items yet, but getting ready to purchase LR and start the cycle. Someone on Craigslist in my area is moving and selling their system. I am thinking of purchasing 50 lbs of LR that they say has been in their tank for 3 years and has nice purple Coraline algae. Should I do this? Will their nice coraline end up dying in my tank because it is being newly cycled and causing more problems than just buying LR without coraline growth? Thanks!

Make sure you ask them if they have ever dosed the tank w/ medications, especially copper based ones. If so then I would not. Also just look for any unwanted hitchikers/algae.

Other then that it would be good.

If you can keep that LR in some SW and put it in your tank, you may not see much of a cycle and your algae will be fine (you want to keep the beneficial bacteria on/in the LR alive).
Definitely ask about the use of meds and especially copper.

The rock will help seed the sand so like Roka said, you might nat even see a cycle. Bacteria will be already there.

Back
Top Bottom