Questboutbout Cleaning Crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering how many, and what I should have as a cleaning crew for my 46 gal reef tank? Really I just want to know how many hermits, crabs, shrimp ect. I can fit in my tank without overstock.

Start out with a controlled amount at first. Maybe only 3-5 of each, snails, hermit crabs, other types of crabs, etc.. Then add more as you need them. Also don't forget that hermit crabs and snails sometimes don't go together. It's a known fact that hermit crabs will kill and eat the snails for their shells when they feel like moving out of their own shell. I know there are people that have both and have never had this happen, but there are still sources out there that have this documented. Just a little word to the wise. ;)

So your saying 3-5 of each meaning if I had say snails, crabs and shrimp I would need 3-5 of each meaning 9-15 total. Right now I have 1 crab, 3 hermits 1 big snail, and 2 shrimp. Should have said that the first time, but things are looking a little dirty and I never see them. Is this enough or should I get more?

I would definitely get more lol. If your tank is getting dirtier and you really don't see your cuc, definitely get more. I would purchase a handful of snails definitely. For a 46G maybe like.. 8-9. Purchase a couple more hermit crabs, and look for other inverts that are algae grazers and other that will chill on your glass and eat algae. Just make sure that you know they are compatible with eachother before buying them. You don't want an all out war of inverts in your tank. :s

Back
Top Bottom