Question about Nitrogen Cycle...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattP725

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now I have super high amm levels in my tank (8ppm I believe)... it is pretty new so I understand the cycling process has to take effect... the question I have is my nitrite levels are 0... but my nitrate is about 10-20ppm I believe. How can this be? I was under the impression that am changed to nitrite and then to nitrate which is more stable... it seems like it went from amm to nitrate. Does the presence of nitrate mean my tank is stabling out? I have tried numerous things to combat this high amm. I did abotu a 35-40 percent water change, added Cycle, Stress Zyme, and Ammo lok and nothing seemed to really drop it. Also are any of these chemicals possibly contributing to my problem? I mainly use Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Stress Zyme, Proper PH, Stress Coat, and Ammo Lok.. I also use Cycle (only until recently though). Should I discontinue the use of any of these products? I was told that live rock will help with the process but I don't want all my inverts to die... what is the sense of spending $150+ on live rock just to have it end up being dead rock. Can anyone shed any light on this subject? BTW the fish haven't eaten in two days because I am scared that the am. will raises even higher although they did have brine two days ago so they should be ok for a bit.

I think some types of ammo lock gaiv false positive results for ammonia. For the nitrate, did you use ro/di water to fill the tank, and for water changes. It is possible that your source water has nitrates that high. I would stop adding stuff to the tank. if you can't return the fish to lfs until the cycle is complete, then frequent water changes are in order.

I really wish I knew the answer to those questions... I am pretty new at this. I used decloranized tap water with salt mix (the white bucket with the maroon top that I cannot remember the name of right now for some reason). I hope you are right abotu the false levels. I guess I will just let it run it's course... should I be concerned about the nitrate level?

Just incase it matters I have a proaquatics canister filter with two sponge medias and zeolite and carbon bags. I have a protein skimmer which I am pretty sure is now crap (Seaclone)... I have heard nothign but bad things about them and it doesn't seem to foam up anymore since I did a big water change two days ago. It did take a week or more to get anything the first time. That was obviously a bad purchase.

test your sw before adding it to the tank. This will tell you if that is where the nitrates are coming from. If your new sw (mixed for 24 hr) has any unacceptable levels, then find another water source. Some grocery stores or wall mart sell it. If you are planning on going reef, then look into a ro/di unit on ebay

Back
Top Bottom