question about toad stool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

e-cat

Aquarium Advice Addict
i bought a small toad stool today and im wondering if its a filter feeder or should i place shrimnp, and otehr meats on it and if its a filter feeder should i feed zooplankton and what else

It is primarily a filter feeder.. I just use phyto every once in a while along along with my normal feedings It has been doing fine for quite some time now..

HTH,
James

i have some dt's phytoplankton but i wont get much food from my fish feeding as there is only a lion fish in there and he only gets feed every 2 - 3 days and leaves no food floating around.

I cannot remember what your light set up is but if that's up to par, the DT's should be a decent enough suppliment for a toadstool leather.

Cheers
Steve

i only have 3 40watt florecents 1, marine glo, 1 power glow and 1 aqua glow.
PC are comming next on my needs list :)

e-cat said:
i only have 3 40watt florecents 1, marine glo, 1 power glow and 1 aqua glow.
That's going to be a problem. The toadstool leather is a zooxanthellae coral and requires much more intensity than NO lights will be able to provide. I would speed up the PC purchase as well as moving the leather as close to the lights as possible. I would not suggest purchasing any more corals until the lights have been taken care of. It is quite possible the leather will not fair well for long...

Cheers
Steve

its not going too be long before i get the PC, my lfs said the toadstool will be fine with the light i have and he said they require little light.

I don't think it's going to fall over dead in the next couple of weeks. I suspect it would be a slow deterioration over a period of weeks or even months. IMO, the biggest danger will be when you add the PC's. I would start them up slowly (just a few hours a day at first) and acclimate the corals to the increased light levels so you can avoid light shock. JMHO.

loganj said:
I don't think it's going to fall over dead in the next couple of weeks. I suspect it would be a slow deterioration over a period of weeks or even months. IMO, the biggest danger will be when you add the PC's. I would start them up slowly (just a few hours a day at first) and acclimate the corals to the increased light levels so you can avoid light shock. JMHO.

thanks for the tip, i would have left the light on for the regular time.
how long should i leave the light on any ways? mine are on for 12hours right now.

e-cat said:
how long should i leave the light on any ways? mine are on for 12hours right now.
12 hrs is fine but as pointed out, once you get the new lights you need to acclimate the tank to them. Start with about 3 hrs/day and then increase by ½ an hour every other day until you are back to the full 12 hours. Just watch for algae blooms.

FWIW, personally I do not think you have months before the leather starts to deteriorate...

Cheers
Steve

It should be ok for awhile. Softies can tolerate lower light situatons better than most corals.

Hi
Would like to get a ? in on this subject
Tank 66g Depth 18" VHO 440 just put toadstool in tank yesterday 3/4
down should i bring him up to top or 3/4 up ?
lights are app 8 to 10" from LR.
Thanks
aldo :mrgreen:

aldo said:
Hi
Would like to get a ? in on this subject
Tank 66g Depth 18" VHO 440 just put toadstool in tank yesterday 3/4
down should i bring him up to top or 3/4 up ?
lights are app 8 to 10" from LR.
Thanks
aldo :mrgreen:

It should be fine where you have initially placed it. 4x110w VHO at 18" depth is decent amount of light and should not pose any problems for where you have placed the toadstool. Just be sure it gets adequate flow as well.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom