Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it were me, I would stick to the pure ammonia. You are doing fine but just need to wait it out. If the ammonia is dropping quickly you have a good start on the bacteria colony that converts it to nitrite. But, if the nitrite is not dropping quickly it just means you are still grow the type of bacteria that converts nitrite to nitrate. Keep in mind, that bacteria had no food source until the other bacteria start converting the ammonia. It is natural that is a bit behind. Kind of like me, a bit behind. :-0

Old 02-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well it's bad when the ammonia source drops low correct?

Starves the nitrite bacteria doesn't it? That's why I figured the shrimp would have a more constant ammonia source.

Old 02-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Left without a food source for an extended period of time it will start to die off. But that isn't going to happen in a day or two. Relax a bit, I promise you won't kill the bacteria. I am still pretty new to all this too but one thing I have learned is that most of this is much simpler than we first thought. Keep in mind, this is all mother natures doing. She knew what she was doing. If she insisted everything was perfect or things would die none of us would be here right now. She is a pretty forgiving old lady. Just keep dosing like you are doing. If you miss a day, no big deal. Be patient and before you know it, your tank will look like mine (or hopefully better). Here is my tank. I started it in July.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:59 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

^^ very impressive and beautiful! nice work

haha i started a saltwater tank to help my establish patience but i hate redoing things twice so i want to be 120% sure im on the right track and not taking one step forward than two steps back.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:10 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks like you just need your nitrite eating bacteria to colonize a little more. You're just about there.

Just FYI, once you're done cycling you will have a mega strong bio filter and can add as many fish as you want. However, that's not recommended because of territorial issues.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:11 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

The bacteria can live for weeks without an ammonia source but it is better to keep them fed.
scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:31 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

^^ great! very excited to hear.

would it be too far off topic to ask a quick life stock question? how many fish to start off with...?
Old 03-03-2012, 05:21 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

The ammonia results are at a 24hr interval.

Topped off to 4-5ppm again, I'll post results again tomorrow

It's great that the ammonia is that low after 24hrs right? Just gotta wait for nitrites to drop to zero correct?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1207477831.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	80395  
Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes the ammonia level is very encouraging. What's going on with your PH? Again, wait for an expert to chime in but...... PH will go all over the place while you are cycling. Don't try to mess with it now. But, if it is still like that once you finish cycling you will want to get it in line before adding fish.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'll check my pH in a few hours when I do the rest of the results.

Anyone else chime in?

Tags
cycle, fishless, fishless cycle

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com