questions regarding LR and heaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eurekah

Aquarium Advice Newbie
ok so right now my 20g FOWLR tank is all nicly set up and i want to get some live rock to help with the cycle and to make my tank somewhat more interesting. I was thinking of buying like 5-10lbs of rock just to start out, but i dont know what kind to get! was looking at Fiji and Tonga rock. On jlaquatics.com Fiji is about $4.59/lbs and tonga is about 5.95/lbs (canadian). WHich rock would you recommend? im looking for a more hardy rock, if their is such a thing.

Also, my heater just plain sucks!! SO i want to see your input on new heaters, its for a 20g right now, but i might get a 40g if i end up liking SW, so i will prob get a 200W heater...Thanks a bunch

Heater: Get a titanium heater. The glass ones have a risk of breaking and trust me... you don't want that

LR: I don't know about Tonga but I like Fiji rocks. I don't think any rock is "hardier" than other rocks. The difference in the price is due to the stuff that come w/ the rocks (coralline, sponges, hihitchers, etc)

the price difference is more due to location the rock comes from. fiji is nice and lacey, tonga is more branchy and sometimes slabbed, like a tabletop.

I vote for Figi too. I don't really like the Tonga rock, and like Hara said, it's alot harder to work with because of the shape.

As for heaters, I use Ebo and Visitherm on my Tanks. No complaints. I like the Visitherm a bit more.

I have both types in my tank. I have Marshall Island rock also. Fiji is good rock for the price. I paid 8.99 a lb for mine at the LFS. 200 LBS you do the math. :eek2:

Heater: Get a titanium heater. The glass ones have a risk of breaking and trust me... you don't want that

Definitely, the next time I have a large order, I am woing with Titanium. If the glass ones break, you will get electricity running through your tank. Very dangerous and could possibly kill you and/or your critters.

As for the rock, I alos, like to pick mine out. I have no preference to the different rocks or locations where they came from.

+++EDIT+++

I would shoot for 1/5-2LBs per gallon of water, for better biological filtration.

I wanted to hand pick mine not just get a box and not know what I got.

Yea, i like picking my own rock too, but... $9 per pound?! XD I get Fiji LR from my LFS for 3.99 per pound and i was crying hehe

Soz, abit off topic :p

If the glass ones break, you will get electricity running through your tank. Very dangerous and could possibly kill you and/or your critters.
That is why having GFCI outlets is a MUST on a fish tank!

Back
Top Bottom