Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-16-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lightbulb Re-starting. Need some guidance.

I have had SW tanks for several years now but one of my tanks needs to be nuked and start over. I take responsibility for the fact that for a while, i slacked on maintenance and i am now left with the worst Aiptasia infestation that I have ever seen, as well as most of the walls of my tank caked in coralline. I have decided to redo the tank, keeping only the fish and using fresh sand, rocks, and a new actual tank. My problem comes down to the fact that the new tank must go where the old tank currently is which leaves me unable to set it up in advance and cycle it.
I'm going to start fresh with dry rock and aragonite sand and fishless cycle using brine shrimp cubes. My plan is to buy all my rocks, and use a large rubbermaid tote to mix the SW and then put the rocks in the tote with a pump, dose with the shrimp, and allow the cycle to take place in the rubbermaid. Once the cycle is complete, i will put my fish into a bucket, quickly teardown and remove the old tank, set up the new one, put in the sand and put in the rocks and water from the tote, and then drip acclimate my fish to their new tank.
Does this sound ok? I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything or setting my fish up to die. It will be a FOWLR tank.

Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-16-2015, 08:01 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Only suggestion I have is to use a cocktail shrimp or pure ammonia to cycle the dry rock instead of the brine cubes since they're full of phosphate

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 09-16-2015, 08:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Noted! Thanks!
Old 09-17-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

If you are going to start all over why not cycle the tank and cure the rock all at once in the tank. No need for the tote.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:31 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
If you are going to start all over why not cycle the tank and cure the rock all at once in the tank. No need for the tote.
because i am keeping my current fish and have no where to put them for month while the new tank cycles. the new tank will be going on the same stand as the old tank. so i will leave my fish in their current tank while the rocks and water cycle in a tote and then quickly switch everything and drip acclimate them to the new tank.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:42 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Sorry did not see that. Sounds like a plan.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
star, start, starting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com