Re-starting. Need some guidance.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NicoleIsStoked

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had SW tanks for several years now but one of my tanks needs to be nuked and start over. I take responsibility for the fact that for a while, i slacked on maintenance and i am now left with the worst Aiptasia infestation that I have ever seen, as well as most of the walls of my tank caked in coralline. I have decided to redo the tank, keeping only the fish and using fresh sand, rocks, and a new actual tank. My problem comes down to the fact that the new tank must go where the old tank currently is which leaves me unable to set it up in advance and cycle it.
I'm going to start fresh with dry rock and aragonite sand and fishless cycle using brine shrimp cubes. My plan is to buy all my rocks, and use a large rubbermaid tote to mix the SW and then put the rocks in the tote with a pump, dose with the shrimp, and allow the cycle to take place in the rubbermaid. Once the cycle is complete, i will put my fish into a bucket, quickly teardown and remove the old tank, set up the new one, put in the sand and put in the rocks and water from the tote, and then drip acclimate my fish to their new tank.
Does this sound ok? I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything or setting my fish up to die. It will be a FOWLR tank.

Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Only suggestion I have is to use a cocktail shrimp or pure ammonia to cycle the dry rock instead of the brine cubes since they're full of phosphate

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you are going to start all over why not cycle the tank and cure the rock all at once in the tank. No need for the tote.

If you are going to start all over why not cycle the tank and cure the rock all at once in the tank. No need for the tote.

because i am keeping my current fish and have no where to put them for month while the new tank cycles. the new tank will be going on the same stand as the old tank. so i will leave my fish in their current tank while the rocks and water cycle in a tote and then quickly switch everything and drip acclimate them to the new tank.

Back
Top Bottom