Reconstructing my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking of revamping my whole tank aquascrapes but I'm not sure will this be too drastic a stress for my inhabitants. I need to do this because it was done properly at rocks are not very secured. Furthermore, I think I've some dead space behind the tank which is not desirable. How can I make it less stressful for all the inhabitants?

I'm reading the book Reef Invertebrates and there are several types of possible aquascrapes recommended.
1) L-shape with open lagoon bottom
2) centered single seamount
3) 2 seamounts
4) 2 seamounts, a large and a small
5) open lagoon in the middle surrounded by an arc shape seamount

Though the centered seamount is the most common, it's not a very good structure for good water flow.
Need advice on which to go for.

Need a little more information on what you have - size and shape of tank etc. However, the one that seems to promote the best circulation is the 2 seamounts. Just keep in mind some basics for the design:

Be creative, it is your design.
Make sure there is good circulation around all structures
Don't stack the rocks against the back wall - creates dead space]
You already recognize - make sure the structure is stable
Stack the rocks firmly but not densely together, make sure there are lots of openings for water to circulate through. HTH. 8)

Thanks, Sam. My tank is 55 gallons and it's 36"x24"x24". My current design is more like the centered seamount with little against the wall but room behind the rocks are quite limited.
So, how can I go about reconstructing yet reducing the stress on the inhabitants?

Back
Top Bottom