Reef Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LTA's are difficult to keep. I would not recommend 1 for a "new" tank less than 1 yr old or a 55g tank either. They grow to almost 2' across...which is 1/2 the tank. Also, there is no guarantee any clown will pick a host anemone.

LTA's are difficult to keep. I would not recommend 1 for a "new" tank less than 1 yr old or a 55g tank either. They grow to almost 2' across...which is 1/2 the tank. Also, there is no guarantee any clown will pick a host anemone.

Would you recommend one if any? I understand the no guarantee that a clown will not always host, but you can still have a 50/50 chance. :-D:bowl:

A BTA (bubble tip) is probably a good choice. There is also a 50/50 chance it will roam the tank and sting your corals.

I don't know about the LTA being difficult to keep. The first anemone I got was an LTA and it grew like mad in my tank. My clowns at the time did not host in it at all but it was a nice piece in the tank. I ended up taking it back to the LFS for credit. It got too big for my tank.

1001139jm3.jpg

That pic was before it got REALLY big. 1'-2' is not joke. Not an anemone for a small tank. It needs to be in something like 300g+.

Yeah I see what your saying, Well BTA it is if that doesn't get to crazy.

Don't think that the BTA can't get big too. You've seen the pics of my RBTA. It's about 1' across when fully expanded. Be prepared for it to walk around the tank til it is happy.

One trick you can try is to feed it right after you get it in the tank and feed it every other day for a week so it associates the spot it is in with food. After that it should or may stay put. A friend of mine does this and it works every time for him.

What would be a good food source? I take take any anemone will get big over time. I don't mine I guess as long as it does not get out of control.

I believe my friend used silversides cut to small chunks. I guess mysis or something like that would work as well.

Back
Top Bottom