Reef Ready tank or overflow boxes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking at getting a 72G bowfront for a couple puffers/triggers and was wondering if you guys prefer reef ready or putting in an overflow box. Or should I try to have the tank drilled after I buy it? I wasn't sure if I'd get more flow by going the overflow box route and using a big box or 2 smaller ones at each end? Also do the prices of 260 for standard and 382 reef ready sound reasonable?

Not sure on the prices, I've never priced one, but as for preference...I prefer a reef ready tank to an external overflow. I personally prefer a manufacturered drilled tank, because it still has a warranty. If you buy a new tank and drill it, the warranty is void.

as the owner of a tank that is not drilled, I can say Id prefer it if it was. THere is always the concern of the overflow losing siphon, and if you use a power head to eliminate that possibility, it blows bubbles constantly

Definitely a Reef Ready tank. I'm watching my friend go through 2 overflow boxes @ $75 a pop and countless adjustments to try to get the right flow rate down to the sump.

Reef ready is far superior. I wouldn't even consider an external overflow unless I couldn't afford the RR tank.

i cant believe that there is a 112 dollar difference in reef ready and not. i paid 40 bucks more for my reef ready verses non reef read, but that is a universal tank you are probably buying a oceanic.

Alot of the cost will depend on the number of overflows, and the overflow kits. I know that all glass is very proud of their overflow kits ;)

reefrunner69 said:
Alot of the cost will depend on the number of overflows, and the overflow kits. I know that all glass is very proud of their overflow kits ;)

I do belive it is an all glass aquarium, or maybe it's oceanic which is the same company anyway. Thanks guys, I'm probably gonna go today and get the reef ready!

THe price difference is what makes this a debatable option. If they where priced the same then I would go reefready anyday over a hang on overflow. But since reefready tanks are often alot more expensive (more than 112) then the cost factor weights in. At least for me.

I agree w/ fishfreek. I thought maybe I could have the tank drilled cheaper or put an overflow box on and get better flow or possibly save some money. Hoever I'm getting real tired of my overflow box in my 110g(dumped about 5 gallons of water on my floow last night) so the $112 difference on this tank isn't really that big of a deal.

Any ideas on what size return pump to use for this aquarium? I found it at another store for $209 reef ready but I don't 100% trust there opinion on what return pump to use.

I recommend reef-ready (pre-drilled) if at all possible. I have NEVER had good luck with overflows - they always seem to loose prime. Others seem to have better luck. Since I travel and may be gone for several weeks at at time, it is important that the tank not lose circulation through the sump. When I have been "on call" for a friend's tank the only time I got a call was when the overflow lost prime.

Back
Top Bottom