Reef too clean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Voshon247

Aquarium Advice Freak
I already have a canister filter on my 30g and would like to know if I add a proteins skimmer like maybe for a 40 or 30g tank will my tank be too clean? Is there any downsides too that like ph swings etc or just all positives while having both running.

Additional info
-I have colonies of clove polyps and assorted neon zooanthids.
-some tiny mushroom polyps
-2 paired ocllerous clownfish
-trying to add 1 or 2 more fishes and defiantly more corals.

Ian wondering what if you keep the canister on or i just wouldn't make sense.

I would tend to agree with removing the canister filter unless it is one of you primary sources of water movement then I would keep it running. they tend to be a nitrate producing piece of equipment and aren't really highly regarded for keeping in saltwater tanks. If it is important to have the flow it might be a good idea to remove all of the contents and use it for purigen or phosban.

The more pristine your water conditions are, the healthier your tank will be. So getting phosphates and nitrates as close to 0 as you can is a good thing. Also, having clean water will have no effect on your pH.

So if I take out the contents can I use the canister just to grow cocopods and small plants like a Refugium but mainly for cocopods.

So if I take out the contents can I use the canister just to grow cocopods and small plants like a Refugium but mainly for cocopods.

Adding some live rock in there is a possibility. I would rig up a basket or keep it in a mesh bag to make cleaning out the canister filter easier. Either that or a good pre filter might be a good option. As for growing plants, I don't see it working out unless you have a clear canister to get light to the plants.

So what would you guys recommend something fitted for a 60g maybe

I would personally never recommend what I see as out of date tech. It'll sometimes work, but there is better out there for the same money. Ditch the canister and get a skimmer.

I would personally never recommend what I see as out of date tech. It'll sometimes work, but there is better out there for the same money. Ditch the canister and get a skimmer.

Yeah I mean like a skimmer fitted for a 60g

Back
Top Bottom