refractometer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm getting my shopping list together for my first salt tank. I'm thinking about purchasing a refractometer instead of a hydrometer. Found a RHS-10ATC on amazon for 20 bucks. Most of the ones I see are in the 30 to 50 dollar range. Anyone know if these are any good???

I'm getting my shopping list together for my first salt tank. I'm thinking about purchasing a refractometer instead of a hydrometer. Found a RHS-10ATC on amazon for 20 bucks. Most of the ones I see are in the 30 to 50 dollar range. Anyone know if these are any good???

They are capable of the same thing... Heres a pro tip: make sure you buy one with calibration fluid ?

I bought a cheap one off eBay probably the same one as amazon an it said to calibrate it with rodi. Also after u calibrate it bring it into the lfs with a water sample and check the accuracy against theirs.

Buy some calibration fluid. I calibrate mine every couple months just to make sure. The one I got off BRS came with it.

Id check it every few weeks mine went crazy and I had no idea...salinity if .040 were reading .025...I tried to recalibrate it but their was just something wrong so i bought a hydrometer to fix the problem...eventually will get another refractometer...but for now the io hydrometer is pretty reliable,e.

Id check it every few weeks mine went crazy and I had no idea...salinity if .040 were reading .025...I tried to recalibrate it but their was just something wrong so i bought a hydrometer to fix the problem...eventually will get another refractometer...but for now the io hydrometer is pretty reliable,e.

Actually hydrometers are notorious for being off, sometimes as high as 2 to 4 points. Getting a refractometer with calibration fluid, with proper calibration, is by far the best way to go.

Back
Top Bottom