Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-09-2003, 10:06 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Refresh my memory on curing liverock

This is my 2nd tank and I'm making sure I do things the right way this time since I know so much more than with the 1st one. I read it some where that when curing LR have the lights off for a while then gradually increase the lighting over time so there's no algae outburst but I can't remember the exacts on doing this. My LR should arrive today.

Also, I have 60 lbs (full 5 gal bucket) of sand for my 55 gal tank, how deep do you think that will make my sand bed? I'm assuming 2-3 inches.

Also, will curing my 50 lbs of LR be enough to start my nitrogen cycle?

-::- ((.*

Compaired to men....whatever women do must be done twice as hard to be thought of half as good.
swishyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 10:18 AM   #2

That will get you approx 2 inches of sand..

As far as the LR, I would run the lights just as you would if there were fish in the tank. This way, You can try and save what growth is on there and not deplete it of life giving light. The 50 lbs of LR may or may not be enough to start the cycle. I would put it in and check it every other day top see if you get an ammonia spike. This will greatly depend on how cured or uncured the LR is. If you don't see an ammonia spike in a week or so, throw in an uncooked shrimp and that will get you started....Good Luck
Old 07-09-2003, 10:24 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Timbo. I donated you 10 kudos because you always have good answers & you take the time to answer all questions. 8)
-::- ((.*

Compaired to men....whatever women do must be done twice as hard to be thought of half as good.
swishyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 10:42 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

IMHO your 50 lbs of LR may provide enough biological filtration whether you see a high ammonia spike or not. If you do not see a large ammonia spike it simply means that there was a high enough bacteria population on/in the rock to begin with. Remember that the nitrifying bacteria population will adjust to your bioload. That means that even if you go through a high ammonia cycle, the large bacteria population that grew to handle that ammonia level will die off if you do not provide a large ammonia supply to maintain that population. So if you do not heavily stock your tank after your cycle, the bacteria population will adjust to your bioload. It will then rise and fall according to your future additions or subtractions to the tank bioload.
If you stock your tank slowly (1 fish every 3 or 4 weeks) the 50lbs of LR should be able to handle your additions without any ammonia spikes. Of course I would not suggest adding anything until you are sure the ammonia and nitrite levels have been 0 for about a week.

Brian
Old 07-09-2003, 02:16 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I would add a dead shrimp just to make sure...if it were me.

Tags
curing, live, liverock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com