refugium cheater idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermarvin76

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a wet fry filter. Very little room in it. The only place I would be able to do this is near my pump. I was thinking about getting some culapera (or how ever it's spelled) and keeping in the sump of my wet dry with just a basic floresant light. If this is possible, I've heard that it is good to leave the light on 24 hrs to prevent it from going sexual. Also, how often should I trim it? When I trim it, is it ok to put the trimmings into the main tank for my tang to eat?

i would ensure that it would not be sucked in by the pump. you could certainly do it, just be careful. Also, with running a light in your sump, you would get algae growth, make sure you're ok with that.

You can put some into the main, some fish will eat it (i've heard). you can leave the lights on for 24 hours to keep it from going sexual or you can get chaeto (it doesn't go sexual and is great for nitrate removal).

Jim

Algae would grow in the sump? You said make sure I am ok with that. What could be wrong with that?

Also what is chaeto?? does it need light?

More info on this the better!!!!! Thanks

supermarvin said:
Also what is chaeto??

It's another type of macro algae that most people recommend over calurpa. I've never used it but I have read numerous threads of satisfied people who are very happy with their choice. It also doesn't go sexual like calurpa. So there's no risk to your tank.

what DBAWG said is right. you do need to provide light for the chaeto, most do it on an alternating cycle with the main tank lighting (helps with ph and oxygen levels).

I mentioned the algae because you may get a big of hair algae that could interfear with other stuff in your sump or just be annoying to some people.

Jim

So this in a regular sump is ok? I think I would get some plexiglass, drill holes in it, and use that to separate the pump from what ever I put in there.

Does chaeto need to be trimmed? Will my tang eat it? How would I know when to trim it?

um..I am sorry might be off topic here..but since you guys talked about macro algea,do I need to keep lights on for 24/7? because when I ask my LFS they told me to keep it as a usual time setting.
And if I only want to use my macro algea in the refugium to act as a "cleaner"(nitrate,phosphate and so on)do I kep the lightz on for 24/7 or normal day/night system.? thanks for helping =p

it looks like a ball of green afro :)
lighting in the refugium is a very controversial subject. i light my fuge opposite my tank and it works fine for nutrient removal. i like to give the algae and microfauna in the fuge time to "sleep". its more natural this way IMO.
HTH

Back
Top Bottom