Remove mechanical filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckycat

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 5-6 wk old tank, has gone through it's cycle. I have an Eclipse 3 hood and I'm still using the mechanical filter/pad. I never used the Bio Wheel at all. I've been doing reading on this forum and others, it seems like I can/should completely remove my Eclipse 3 filter to avoid a nitrate flare, and allow the lr/ls and cleanup critters (snails, crab, shrimp) to do their job.

Before I do this I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing...so after removal of the filter cartridge the Eclipse 3 hood will basically just be another mechanism forcing water flow through the system, right? Does pulling the water up, and over and down through the hood (like a hob) oxygenate the water at all? I'm wondering if I should even have the Eclipse 3 hood pump operating at all with my two MaxiJet 900s running in the tank... Is there anything at all I should put in the filter area if I keep it on? Or just let the water all flow through?

Back
Top Bottom