Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2015, 02:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

RODI Help - TDS

I have a question - the water goes into the DI cartridge from the outside and from the middle of the cartridge up. However, it's not really filling up. Is this an issue?

I'm ordering that resin and the refillable part tonight.

I thought I'd run it for an hour or two to see if it makes a difference.

Could the RO filter be positioned wrongly? I can't get it open - have to wait until my boyfriend gets home to see if he can open it and see if it's in right. The manual said that could be why I would be getting poor water quality.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:19 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
If the R.O. membrane is not functioning properly the DI resin would get spent as a super fast rate, but I believe if the TDS is 20, the RO is working. If it wasn't functioning at all the I believe the TDS would be much higher.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:40 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

RODI Help - TDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
If the R.O. membrane is not functioning properly the DI resin would get spent as a super fast rate, but I believe if the TDS is 20, the RO is working. If it wasn't functioning at all the I believe the TDS would be much higher.

Good point.

I checked the water (running since my last post - 3hrs ago) in a clean glass and it's now reading 10ppm as opposed to 20ppm.

I also flushed it for 15 minutes before I started running it. Then I ran it properly through.

If I keep running it do you think it might continue to go down? I'm on a well and it's running cool (not cold) water so it's not emptying my hot water tank so I can keep it running.

I was told the filters were "replaced recently and should last me a year" from the previous owner who is big into the saltwater hobby (had a private distribution business) so I'm wondering if the filters just need to be run through?

Regardless, I'm ordering new cartridges so Ill have them if all else fails.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I can't speak for the seller, but I will tell you that every time I would see a T5 or metal halide fixture for sale on forums they ALL had brand new, or slightly used lamps- not once have I seen someone selling a fixture and them telling buyers the first thing they have to do is replace expensive lamps, so, from that I always assume the worst.

As for the TDS continuing to come down, if the total time running it was an hour or two, then I think it's as good as it's gonna get.

Tags
rodi

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com