Sad plants in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rupp3322

Aquarium Advice Activist
The plants in my 60 gal reef tank with sand and live rock are turning whitish and drooping. The last plants ive had in there did this so i removed them and replaced with ne from my lfs. What is causing this? The tank has been up and running for about 8 weeks. I have the flourescent light canopy on there that came with the tank. I dont really care if i have plants in there, i just heard they were good for helping maintain water quality. Any opinions on why the plants continue to die on me? My guess is lighting but with a hex tank im kind of limited on what lighting i can have. Unless i have a clear over custom made for it. And its an extra deep tank.

rupp3322 said:
The plants in my 60 gal reef tank with sand and live rock are turning whitish and drooping. The last plants ive had in there did this so i removed them and replaced with ne from my lfs. What is causing this? The tank has been up and running for about 8 weeks. I have the flourescent light canopy on there that came with the tank. I dont really care if i have plants in there, i just heard they were good for helping maintain water quality. Any opinions on why the plants continue to die on me? My guess is lighting but with a hex tank im kind of limited on what lighting i can have. Unless i have a clear over custom made for it. And its an extra deep tank.

I assume your talking about macro algae. If that is the case its certainly your light. That light will not be able to sustain coral either.

Your options for reef lighting on the tank comes down to LED's or Metal halide.

Back
Top Bottom