Salinity dropping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knrose

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey I have a 5.5 gallon FOWLR tank. I put live sand in and the rocks. I pre made water to the proper salinity and checked it with my refractometer. The salinity was perfect. Than I added it to the tank. After about 2 hours I checked it again and it was really low. I don't know what caused this. I've checked it at multiple temperatures.

Hey I have a 5.5 gallon FOWLR tank. I put live sand in and the rocks. I pre made water to the proper salinity and checked it with my refractometer. The salinity was perfect. Than I added it to the tank. After about 2 hours I checked it again and it was really low. I don't know what caused this. I've checked it at multiple temperatures.

What's your evaporation like? It's a small tank so your probably gonna need to top off more but it shouldn't be dropping. Evaporation would make it go up. Just thinking aloud.

Do you have a lid on the tank? Enough flow?

What time of day did you test?

So it was fine in the mixing bucket and declined in your tank correct?

Yes it was fine in the bucket. I have a lid and there is hardly any evaporation. I'm going to get a power head today and see if more movement helps.

Yes it was fine in the bucket. I have a lid and there is hardly any evaporation. I'm going to get a power head today and see if more movement helps.

Oh so there is no flow in the tank? That could be the issue right there. That and the top. I know it's hard but most tanks (saltwater) people don't use lids. My pico never had a lid and Bio Cube 29 I leave the door open and have a lot of surface agitation. Ok willing to bet that with the power head will come flow and with flow will come a more stable salinity.

Hey I have a 5.5 gallon FOWLR tank...I pre made water to the proper salinity and checked it with my refractometer. The salinity was perfect. Than I added it to the tank. After about 2 hours I checked it again and it was really low. I don't know what caused this. I've checked it at multiple temperatures.

Is your refractometer temperature-calibrated?

Temperature can affect specific gravity readings (with SG variations potentially being more pronounced in small volume tanks).

What is "perfect salinity"?

What was the specific gravity reading when it was at 'perfect salinity' and what was it reduced to when it was "too low?

When your readings were taken at multiple temperatures what was the temperature range and were the readings consistently low at various temperatures?

How did your prepare your saltwater? (how long was the water mixed and circulated before being added into the tank?).

rc_kaybee19_sig.png

To me perfect was 1.026. That's what is was in my mixing bucket. It sat for close to 10 hours before adding. The reading I took in the tank was 1.022. I tested it at 69 degrees (the temperate I mixed it at) and 78 (the temperate of my tank) it didn't effect it to much.

I'm not sure if this helps. Mix the salt in a bucket with a heater and power head to agitate the surface bringing the salinity up.

Try and to match the best you can.

As for your salinity dropping. It could be not enough surface agitation and or flow.

Let it sit in the bucket with heater and power head on for 24 hours. Test it a few time and see what the results are.

I've seen this happen a few times and the result was not enough flow or surface agitation.

You are using RO/DI correct?

Yeah. Luckily I work in a lab so I can get all the free ro/ di water I want. I put in the power head and the salinity is rising. I'm going to monitor it for the next few days and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom