Salinity problems!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you test your water? I would imagine high nitrates also - could be quite deadly. What kind of filtration do you run? Your fishes look ok?

The nitrate is perfect my I have a whisper filter for a 75 gal, mines only 38. I have only have one unhappy fish and it's a clown. I not sure if it's just being lazy though. It swims correctly to eat!

Wow, that does surprise me actually, because you have so little live rock too. Glad that's not a problem but you will need to get some water change action in there to lower the salinity.

I got to back to normal yesterday with the change. Fingers crossed!

How often are you cleaning your filter? I would imagine if you didn't do a water change in 6 months, you have high nitrates. How often are you feeding?

Water changes will also remove unwanted nutrients. HOB filters don't do anything for nitrates unfortunately. They trap uneaten food and fish poop and add to the overall nitrate count. The only thing in the tank that will process nitrate is the small amount of live rock you have in there.

My tank (accidentally) got to 1.032 (nothing died) but I ended up taking about 4 inches of water off of my 29 gallon tank and just added fresh water with not salt slowly. It got down to 1.025.. A water change would be your best option..

I would start feeding every other day and change your filters more frequently or you're asking for trouble in the future. Good to hear you got the salinity down though.

Back
Top Bottom