Salt Deposits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbecher

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good morning,

I may have miscounted and added in a little (or maybe way) to much salt when I first filled my aquarium; I've since exchanged with some RO water and brought the salinity to the correct level. My question though, is there are many small "dots" (They rub off when I touch them lightly with my finger) on my glass that appear to be salt deposits, and some bunched up on my heaters. I'm assuming this is because I put in way to much to start with. Does anyone have a good remedy for cleaning the (now submerged) glass and powerheads/heaters? I figured a good sponge that has no additives in it would be best. Thanks!

How high was the salinity before you added fresh water to bring it down? I highly suggest you invest in a refractometer and don't mix salt by volume...as in x cups/gal. What brand salt do you use?

I would guess it's calcium carbonate that precipitated when your salinity was high. Just scrape it off. It won't redissolve.
What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium?

How high was the salinity before you added fresh water to bring it down? I highly suggest you invest in a refractometer and don't mix salt by volume...as in x cups/gal. What brand salt do you use?

I would guess it's calcium carbonate that precipitated when your salinity was high. Just scrape it off. It won't redissolve.
What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium?

Since it was my first time doing it, I did follow the x cups/gallon on the bucket I bought... not the birghtest idea I suppose. I used IO salt. I don't see what the refract would have to do with it; You still have to mix everything together and let it dissolve for a while before testing it, regardless of what you use. Don't mean to sound brash, just my thoughts :)

I don't see what the refract would have to do with it;
If you had a refractometer you would have seen your salinity was too high when you were mixing it up. Add salt, test water. Add salt, test water. After you have been making up new batches for a while, you will learn aprox how much salt you need. If you need 5 cups, add 4 and test. Then slowly add more salt and test till you get to 35 ppt.

I agree, the refractometer is way more accurate than using the instructions and a hydrometer.

ccCapt is right. I have done my research on salt tanks. Even though i havent yet got to set up mine yet i have read and seen people do it this way and it really works. Besides it keeps you safe from making your fish die from salt poisoning or what you did to your tank. Listen to ccCapt.

By the way ccCapt, congrats on becoming 1 of our next moderators.:)

Oh I conpletely understand the concept of it, I was just curious how people went about doing the mixing. I'm sure it's something that comes with doing it more often, but for my first time I had no idea how much to start with for the 75g, so I followed the bucket's instructions. Won't be making that mistake again ;)

When I first started saltwater I decided not to go with a refractometer and use a hydrometer instead. Now that I've made the mistake for myself I own a refractometer and I gotta say it's one of the coolest, and best investments I may have ever made. I got mine on eBay for about 30 bucks. Do yourself a HUGE favor and get one as well.

Back
Top Bottom