Salt Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canucksfan1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just wondering if u can use salt water from the ocean to fill a salt water tank. I don't have one right now but am really considering gettin one in the future and was just curious if this would work at all?

Alot of times you have to worry about pollution and parasites when you get water straight from the ocean.

I live at the beach and there is a school marine science building that filters NSW but I did not have very good luck with it. I have heard that several people have no problems but IMO I value my little guys more than that! I have also heard about going offshore and getting water directly from the gulf stream but thats just a little to much work for me!!! HTH

I agree, pollution would be a huge concern for me. It is not too expensive to premix your own SW. You can get a 160G bucket of salt for around $31.00.

Just think of the beach as nature's protein skimmer. You don't want water or sand from the beach.

Very good point Finatic...funny that is how I explained what a skimmer is and does to a friend of mine....."look at the foam and gunk on the beach".....LOL

Back
Top Bottom