Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pph_2ppr

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do not mean to sound like a cheap-o but i think i could do alot more for my fish....so is it possible to boil or dehydrate water from water changes to get the salt. This is most likely a rediculous question, but its worth a shot.....If i were to do this wouldn't it affect the pH levels which stay at 8.2 because of new salt? feel free to call me stupid.....

Hopefully no one will call you stupid, but I've never seen that question here before! Y'know what they say... the only stupid question is the one not asked! (Not sure who the "they" are.)

Anyway... while I suppose you could technically do what you're saying, the problem I see is that there are a lot of thing in the NEW salt mix that is used up between water changes. If you took a cup of NEW dry salt mix and compared it with a cup of whatever was left after you boiled down some old used water, it would not be the same. There are "trace elements" in the salt that are supposedly, more or less, the same as what's found in natural seawater. Your coraline algae, corals, crabs, snails, and fish use some of those trace elements. In addition, there are buffers that help maintain your alkalinity and your pH that are depleted as time goes on. (You were on the right track... it would definitely affect your pH levels, if nothing else.) So yes... you would reclaim the "salt" aspect of the mix, but all the other stuff that your tank needs would be missing because it's been partially used up.

At least that's my armchair scientist reasoning for not doing it!

The actual salt isn't the only important part of the salt mix. There are trace elements and minerals that the fish/inverts need, that are absorbed, and would be missing the second time around.

Also, you would only be removing pure water, and leaving all the impurities behind, only to re-introduce them to the tank.

If you just *want* more to do for your fish... well.. there are dozens of little projects that can be done on a tight penny and some know-how.

hey seepu, would you be willing to share a those tight penny projects, I am preparing for college, so everything is very useful......Next weekend there is a chance i will get down to Lincoln. Does anyone know of a store that would be willing to take back a damsel or two? The tank should finish cycling by then so I hope i can get my yellow watchman Gody(anything godd about them)? If someone in the lincoln-omaha area would be willing to do some trading/selling im all ears

From your last post is sounds like you didnt do a fishless cycle - there are some articles on this website about fishless cycles that I reccomend checking out, imo a fishless cycle is a much better way of establishing a new aquarium

Yes I regret putting the fish through this but whats done is done, just got caught up in the idea of getting a reef and it took off from there....too soon

hey seepu, would you be willing to share a those tight penny projects, I am preparing for college, so everything is very useful......Next weekend there is a chance i will get down to Lincoln. Does anyone know of a store that would be willing to take back a damsel or two? The tank should finish cycling by then so I hope i can get my yellow watchman Gody(anything godd about them)? If someone in the lincoln-omaha area would be willing to do some trading/selling im all ears

It depends on what you are trying to do. Check the DIY section for ideas that will apply to your setup. My next project is a rubbermaid refugium. :D I don't have college expenses to worry about.. but I do have a husband that just doesn't "get it" with my tank. He thinks the only thing I should spend money on is fish food. :silly:

Back
Top Bottom