Saltwater Newbie looking for advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello everyone! I have 2 tanks that are empty right now. One is a 50 gallon and the other is a 10 gallon. Me and my brother recently decided that we want to stArt a saltwater tank. I think I would rather do the 50 gallon. I've heard that 10 gallon tanks can be quite hard to maintain.

What sort of setup advice can you saltwater vets give me since I'm considering a marine aquarium. Meaning stock ideas? Lighting? Filtration?

The 50 will be easier and more pleasing.

First thing to consider. Do you want a fish only tank or a reef tank? And do you want predator/aggressive or peaceful community.

Get the most porus live rock you can get. Trust me it helps. And get yourself a good over powered skimmer.

Khij159753 said:
The 50 will be easier and more pleasing.

First thing to consider. Do you want a fish only tank or a reef tank? And do you want predator/aggressive or peaceful community.

Get the most porus live rock you can get. Trust me it helps. And get yourself a good over powered skimmer.

Well I want to take on a project that will be appropriate for my experience or lack of with saltwater. I'll have to look into a good protein skiimmer. Im personally into the peaceful community fish. But I like predators as well. I have a thing for eels. What is a good beginner fish?

I'm thinking about a reef. But I hear coral is expensive and hard to care for.

If you set up your tank right corral isn't much harder but it is a lot more expensive.

If your not doing corral you might as well do predators. They're a little more entertaining. In a 55 predator tank a snowflake eel would be a good starter fish.

The way I look at it is predator tanks are more entertaining and have more personality. And reefs are more pretty. I have both so I can help you either way and make you successful but reef is expensive fish only is about 200+$ cheaper

Khij159753 said:
If you set up your tank right corral isn't much harder but it is a lot more expensive.

If your not doing corral you might as well do predators. They're a little more entertaining. In a 55 predator tank a snowflake eel would be a good starter fish.

The way I look at it is predator tanks are more entertaining and have more personality. And reefs are more pretty. I have both so I can help you either way and make you successful but reef is expensive fish only is about 200+$ cheaper

I was considering a snowflake eel. Are they known for being open swimmers? Also could there be room for a tank mate? I'd probably start FOWLR. But I'm open to all possibilities. Would all that equipment be worth it for a single snowflake eel?

I have a 55 predator tank. Look it up. "55Gal predator tank" if you get a good skimmer. About 50lbs of live rock and sand. A power head and a cheap light. You could do a predator tank. You could easily have a snowflake eel, a dwarf lionfish, and a Toby puffer in there. Or something along those lines. Probably even another couple fish if your skimmer is good.

But read my thread and it'll give you an idea. I'm doing 6 fish in mine but I'm planning on moving a couple to a 75 that ill set up when they start growing.

Khij159753 said:
I have a 55 predator tank. Look it up. "55Gal predator tank" if you get a good skimmer. About 50lbs of live rock and sand. A power head and a cheap light. You could do a predator tank. You could easily have a snowflake eel, a dwarf lionfish, and a Toby puffer in there. Or something along those lines. Probably even another couple fish if your skimmer is good.

But read my thread and it'll give you an idea. I'm doing 6 fish in mine but I'm planning on moving a couple to a 75 that ill set up when they start growing.

Hmm I can't seem to find the other thread. But I like the fish that you've mentioned so far. That would be an interesting stock. As far as the the couple of other fish, what could I add? Would they have to be predators too? Could I add an anemone and clowns?

Anemone and clowns would probably work. But the clowns would have to be bigger than the mouth of the eel and lion. And the anemone is gonna need stronger lights than all the corral would need so you'd need expensive lights.

The 6 I'm putting in mine.... So you could pick 4 of these.... Snowflake eel, Toby puffer, dwarf lion, fu Manchu lion, angler, and blood red hawkfish

Khij159753 said:
Anemone and clowns would probably work. But the clowns would have to be bigger than the mouth of the eel and lion. And the anemone is gonna need stronger lights than all the corral would need so you'd need expensive lights.

The 6 I'm putting in mine.... So you could pick 4 of these.... Snowflake eel, Toby puffer, dwarf lion, fu Manchu lion, angler, and blood red hawkfish

Do the clowns need an anemone? Also yours is 50 gallon?

No clowns don't need an anemone. And yeah my predator tank is a 55 but keep in mind all my fish are babies and when they start growing. A couple of them will be relocated to a 75.

Khij159753 said:
No clowns don't need an anemone. And yeah my predator tank is a 55 but keep in mind all my fish are babies and when they start growing. A couple of them will be relocated to a 75.

Ahhh I see. What kind of filtration do you use?

Well live rock and sand filtrate your water then I'm just running a decent skimmer. I use RODI water and stay up on my water changes and it works just fine.

A sump with a skimmer would be a good filtration choice for you if you don't plan on upgrading soon.

Good thread. It's nice to talk to somebody willing to take it slow.
I agree that a fish only system makes sense to start with. Corals are great, but do require you amp up everything to keep them happy.
That being said, many folks evolve into keeping corals at some point.

I had a 55 gallon predator tank that had a small trigger fish, snow flake moray (they aren't a eel...) and a small lion fish. They kept me entertained for years. Need a tight top for the moray as they love to jump. Used the "Berlin" filter method of live rock and a powerful protein skimmer. That was all that was required.

Gregcoyote said:
Good thread. It's nice to talk to somebody willing to take it slow.
I agree that a fish only system makes sense to start with. Corals are great, but do require you amp up everything to keep them happy.
That being said, many folks evolve into keeping corals at some point.

I had a 55 gallon predator tank that had a small trigger fish, snow flake moray (they aren't a eel...) and a small lion fish. They kept me entertained for years. Need a tight top for the moray as they love to jump. Used the "Berlin" filter method of live rock and a powerful protein skimmer. That was all that was required.

Lol well I don't want y fish to die. They're pretty expensive. I think I'd like to try the Berlin filter method. Anyway I think corals would be cool once I have the money to spend on lighting and the organisms themselves.

How much should I spend on a good protein skimmer? 180? Also what would startup be looking like? I know I can research but id like to know from experience

I have heard good things about the octopus skimmers. I build all my own stuff, so I would suggest a comment from somebody else.

Puffers & Lionfish are not beginner fish. Though if you have the time and are willing to put forth the bit of extra effort, I'm sure everything will be fine.

For being beginner and for your size tank, I would recommend a set up similar to this. Look through the thread for some ideas :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/toms-55g-saltwater-230366.html

Maybe start off FOWLR and add corals when you feel more comfortable and your tank is stable. There are some pretty easy corals to keep.

GL!

LadyQuorra said:
Puffers & Lionfish are not beginner fish. Though if you have the time and are willing to put forth the bit of extra effort, I'm sure everything will be fine.

For being beginner and for your size tank, I would recommend a set up similar to this. Look through the thread for some ideas :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/toms-55g-saltwater-230366.html

Maybe start off FOWLR and add corals when you feel more comfortable and your tank is stable. There are some pretty easy corals to keep.

GL!

Well I like your advice of exercising caution with the puffers and lion fish. So it's got me
Thinking about maybe doing a
Community setup. Then segueing into a reef.
But here are some ideas for some fish.

Clownfish 1 or 2.
Fire fish 2
And perhaps a dotty back. I don't really know of the types of inverts or other fish I could add. But that seems pretty full for a 50 gallon to me. What do you guys think?

That sounds good. You could add some shrimp, maybe a crab, there's a lot of cool inverts

Glad to be of help!

Here is some useful links

How many fish can you keep in your tank?

"How Many Fish?" Aquarium Stock Level Calculator

Beginner Fish: Tropical Fish for Beginners in Saltwater Aquariums

Beginner Invertebrates: Invertebrates Suitable for Beginners in Saltwater Aquariums

I think having an assortment of colors, sizes, and swimming styles creates a dynamic and fun to watch tank.

Here is my personal favs/recommendations:
~1 Occ. Clown (I don't really see the point of having 2 of the same fish unless they are schooling or you want to breed them) and later when your tank is more stable you can try and get an LT Anemone and try to get it to host.
~Goby & Pistol Shrimp pair (They live together, it's super awesome to watch)
~1 Firefish (for the color and inexpensiveness)
~3 Blue/Green Chromis (They school!)

GL! :)

Back
Top Bottom