Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

saltwater tank starter

What exactly do I need to get my saltwater tank started o have 125 gallon tank bit that's it. I know I need a filter and water heater bit what else

Old 08-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Welcome to the forum!! Lots of great people and advice here!

Alot depends on what you want to keep. Do you intend on getting corals ever? that will determine the lights you'll need and a few other things.

here is a great article for what you need to conisder

Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank.

Old 08-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yeah I do plan on coral and I want a puffer and some clowns.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Not sure about the fish compatibility, but for corals you will need a good lighting fixture. Also with that size of tank a sump should be in your plans. In the sump you can put your heater and protein skimmer, and also have a refugium in there for live rock and algae. Some more links for ya

Ammonia conversion to nitrate
Sumps Explained
Cycle your salt tank

Hope these help, they are a very good start as far as research.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Alright thanks. But how do make my tap water into saltwater. I had a friend tell me it was 88 cent a gallon at petsmarts.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:09 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I know for a fact u can have the corals and clowns together but the puffer can't mix with either one sorry:-(
Old 08-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I purchased an ro/di machine so I make my own water at home. here's link
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Then I just buy 200g boxes of salt and mix at home in a garbage can.

I was buying my water from the lfs at 50 cents a gallonf or ro/di and $1 a gallon for premixed salted water but that added up really quick with a 125g.

You will need about 30g a week for water changes and for topping off the evaporated water ( you use regular unsalted water for top offs btw).
Old 08-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Whoa now I understand why freshwater is cheaper.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The startup costs are for sure alot more than fw but the ongoing costs do diminish over time. Just the salt and water you have to worry about and any extra electricity to power high lighting fixtures.

It's all what youre prepared to invest.

You could start a bio or nano cube at about 29g and see how that goes. Just alot more limiting as far as fish and corals and the water stability. I really really like my 125g and I have quite a few tanks. I spend the least amount of time on the 125g as far as maintaining it. My 4g pico took the majority of my time believe it or not. So bigger is usaully better as far as stability in a tank.

It cost me about 2k to setup my 125g and I even bought a used light fixture and tank and stand. :-(
Old 08-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I guess ill start with fresh water o just don't have that much money just to start out on.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, starter, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com