Saltwater Test Kits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajg1460

Aquarium Advice Regular
Can someone please recommend a good SW test kit. My local LFS has the following- Saltwater Liquid Master Test Kit - A complete kit for testing saltwater & reef aquariums. Tests include: high range pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate. With 4 test tubes, tray & rack. for $25 and Petsmart has the same item for $14. But before I dish out the cast though I'd ask some more experienced hobbiest.

Salifert and Seachem are the only test I'd use on a marine tank. You can get a Seachem "master" kit for about $20-25 online. Includes PH, Ammo, Nitrate, nitrite, Alk.

I use the kit you are talking about. Petsmart. It is the same one my lfs uses to test water when you get them to check it. I've been using that brand for nearly 2 years now and have never had a problem with it. However I use the better brands for my phos, ca, alk, etc. After you've got the setup going pretty good and are fully stocked up you will probably only be using the nitrate test regularly. I only check the amm and nitrite about once a month but ph and nitrate every week before the water changes.

I am using the same kit too, and I don't see any problems with it... Just that liquid based tests can expire so check your box to see if it has an expiration date...

Honestly, I'd go with SeaChem over the Aquarium Pharm. kit that you're talking about. AP kits are fine for freshwater, but saltwater really does need that extra level of accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom