Salty Frustrations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They do now, did you see the arcticle in the news paper abouta two months ago
long story short the florida waters now have tnags in them and there producing more tangs
should alot of fish that are not native here that are now in the florida waters, went on to say that it most likley started out with someone letting a fish go and how there now living in our waters and what that will do to the whole system
I really didn't see any thing wrong with that other then the fish storees losing money as you can catch your own fish instead of paying for it
When you think about it what are you to do when a salt water fish gets so big that not even the pete stores want it
I would never do anything to hurt a fish I just think letting it free to the ocean is not a bad thing as its the closes it will come to being back in its natural waters for where it once came, besides tangs are algie eaters ,the beaches have so much algie and sea weed that comes to shore that the county has to have it cleaned
A small fish is one thing, yes bring it to the pet store and hoping some one will buy it and give it a home is a good thing but when they get a foot or two long what pet store is going to take that fish
I can't see any other choice other then letting it free and given it a chance
The news paper artical did talk a little bit about what do you do with a fish that gets that large but no one really had an answer, its not like you can take it on a trip with you back to the red sea

You could also check with public aquariums, Florida is loaded with them. Maybe they would take them, or someone you know with a bigger system. Or upgrade your system. If my Angel outgrows my tank and I've had her that long, I may just have to upgrade mine someday. Thats part of the responsibilty of taking in a pet as I see it.
If the concern is for the well being of the fish, are you sure letting them loose in your nearest ocean is best for them? How do you know your tangs will eat this seaweed? Ecosystems take a long time to form and are delicate, IMO its not a good idea to mess with them.
There are now Lionfish along the east coast and authorities and scientists alike are worried about the long term effects of that.
Once again, its not a good thing to do, this is messing with already abused ecosystems and its against the law. Just my opinion. :wink:
Sorry Rocketseason, got off subject here.

I know what you mean, I'm not planing on getting ride of any fish right now, I just upgraded as I had to make that choice ,get ride of the big fish or a biger tank and I choose to get a bigger tank as I'm to attached to them to just let them go but this is the last upgrade I will be able to do as anything over the 125 is to much for me and besides my wife will kill me

EXVISOR19641964 said:
anything over the 125 is to much for me and besides my wife will kill me

Now this I understand and agree with, mine is ready to shoot me because of this hobby. :lol:

UPDATE:

I love my job. Well, my finacial problems are temporarly solved so It looks like Monday I will be ordering my Live Rock!

Don't you have a place you can go to and buy it vs ordering it sight un seen?

RocketSeason said:
UPDATE:

I love my job. Well, my finacial problems are temporarly solved so It looks like Monday I will be ordering my Live Rock!

Excellent !! Congrats! :D
Life is a roller coaster isn't it. :lol:

I really didn't see any thing wrong with that other then the fish storees losing money as you can catch your own fish instead of paying for it

How about the potential impact on the environment? :roll: Check out Florida history, and you will see that non-native species such as the Melaleuca trees native to Australia are causing a huge issue in the Everglades. What do you think happens when the native habit to native livestock disappears? :? This does not even address the amount of money that needs to be spent to reverse the damage and control such populations. That money has to come from somewhere and it sure isn't a non-native Money Tree. As mentioned, it is also quite illegal. 8O

Why do you think people went nuts in Maryland making sure snakeheads were removed from local waterways :?:

When you think about it what are you to do when a salt water fish gets so big that not even the pete stores want it

Responsible aquarists do NOT purchase livestock that we cannot reasonable keep. And besides, very few such species exist that cannot be kept in a home aquarium. If yours isn't large enough, pass for a more appropriate species. :?

I would never do anything to hurt a fish I just think letting it free to the ocean is not a bad thing as its the closes it will come to being back in its natural waters for where it once came

So setting a fish free where it doesn't naturally belong is helping it? What about the native fish that suffer as a result :?: Have you considered, that in addition to "setting a fish free", you will also be contributing potential parasites and bacteria :?:

besides tangs are algie eaters ,the beaches have so much algie and sea weed that comes to shore that the county has to have it cleaned

If introducing tangs was a reasonable option, don't you think the local wildlife council would have decided to do it themselves....considering I doubt you have done research on algae specifics, causes, etc. :?:

A small fish is one thing, yes bring it to the pet store and hoping some one will buy it and give it a home is a good thing but when they get a foot or two long what pet store is going to take that fish

Then don't buy the fish to begin with, problem solved with no threat to the environment. There are tanks available to accomodate a fish that large, and that is who should be purchasing them.

I can't see any other choice other then letting it free and given it a chance

Chance at what exactly :?: Throwing out the natural balance of the current ecosystem. The chance at living at the cost of other species?

For anyone who may have heard, and has questioned the validity of the bill making its way through the system....this is why they surface. Whether it should or should not be passed, it is this kind of ignorance that contributes to people wanting to put handcuffs on our hobby. We the hobbyists, as well as the collectors, dealers, etc. have been given the opportunity to regulate ourselves and we continue to prove that we are not capable of doing so all through the aquarium process, even with the best intentions. There are tons of links building that are pointing fingers directly at our hobby, maybe we want to pay attention.

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/InNews/floridaconcern2004.html
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2004-04/uow-fna040704.php
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/05/0520_040520_aquariumescapees.html
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/1999-05/USGS-Ifpi-190599.php

Back to the topic at hand, Rocket....if something else does happen (we could relate for hours with stories!), you do not need all of your live rock at once to enjoy a tank. You could cycle with shrimp, with or w/o liverock. www.hirocks.com and www.reeferrocks.com both have great deals on baserock, which in a short time will look no different. Add some or a lot of liverock when you are ready, if you are worried about another cycle just cure it in a rubbermaid container first. :wink:

Relax there ,my point is I would rather set them free if there was no place to give them to ,the other choice would be worse ,also sounds like your in the business and speaking from your pocket

I don't know if he's in the business, but thats besides the point. Read over his post again. Our actions have a direct impact on the enviroment as well as out ability to self regulate our hobby.
All of us in the hobby have to conduct ourselves in a responsible manner .

I cleaned up the ending here to keep it from rambling out of control. Sorry for those posts that got deleted. As stated, I see no problem with debating this in its own thread...start one. I am PM'ing your last comments as starting point to you if you wish to continue it further...Hoops

alright, so back to me.

:)

I have been running my BakPak2R skimmer in my tank with just the sand in the bottom for 3 months now and I have gotten no gunky buildup. Is that cause I dont have any rocks yet? or is it a broken skimmer.

Most likely because there really is no bioload. If you cycle with the liverock, I would remove the skimmer....others keep it in.

Back
Top Bottom