Screwy LFS advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peoplepc3

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So as I have written before, I have been cycling my tank for 6 weeks now (150 gallon, with about 20 lbs live rock and about 120lbs base rock). I have watched as my ammonia levels have gone from a mere 1.0ppm (highest ever, after decomposing 2 shrimp) to zero, which is great.

My issue is, for the past 4 weeks, my NITRITES have been stuck at .25ppm and my NITRATES have been at 10ppm. Not a huge spike as one would expect after decomposing 2 shrimp but, I did get a reduction of ammonia, to zero.

So I visited my LFS today and the owner said my tank is most likely "stalled" because of the "smart cycle" that I introduced at his recommendation (1st mistake). Apparently, the "smart cycle" got rid of the ammonia quickly, but has done nothing for the nitrites and nitrates (see readings above).

His advice: "I believe you have all the beneficial bacteria to sustain life". He suggests to perform a 20 percent water change, wait a few hours, then check the levels again. He suggests this will reduce the nitrite/nitrate level, leaving the beneficial bacteria to do their job. UN-stalling the tank.

Any advice? Does this sound correct as I am now working on week number 7? What to do now???

FYI-I have a wet/dry filter with a synthetic filter and about 200 bioballs that I will eventually change over to rubble as soon as I can get through this cycle. Protein skimmer and UV filter is not running at this time. I have NO algae growth anywhere and I have not been running any lights at all during this cycle.

Does the advice of the LFS owner make sense or....?

Don't change the water it will only prolong the cycle. Give it time and it will work out. Also if you remove the bio balls after the cycle you will be taking out the beneficial bacteria that you just made... So you have two options. One get rid of the bio balls now and add ruble and cycle again. Or leave them and remove them over time and replace with rock. Also for a side note for a good cycle you want your ammonia to peek at 4ppm. Not 1. Anything more is not worth it.hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom