Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-25-2005, 12:59 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
Again, let me make sure I didnt leave this out. I have always had 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates until recently.

Melosu - I see you have a UV sterilizer on your reef?? I have seen where many people on here say its not good to run a UV on a reef? I had one on a previous tank and NEVER had an algea problem. UV's kill algea totally! I even asked some time ago about this and people swore up and down that UV were no good on reefs? If this is ok, I will get a UV and know with asurity the algea problem will go away. The light kills the algea spores...

Old 12-25-2005, 01:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will drop the skimmer debate and allow others to help you out. But, to clarify - I did read your post. We simply have a difference of opinion. The fact that you always had 0 readings IMO doesn't eliminate your skimmer as a suspect. Mine were 0 all along as well until I missed a couple changes.

If you continue to have problems and can't seem to figure out the culprit - since the original thread was about a Sea Hare and since we've been focusing on the cause of the problem (mostly my fault - I apologize) ....you may want to post another thread with a different subject title. Post your equipment and readings again so that others may be able to chime in on what the source of the elevated readings are. I promise I'll stay out of it

Good luck.

- Skins

Old 12-25-2005, 02:17 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Skins
No problem! Its not that I have not ruled this out. However Im going to leave this as a very last option as a culprit. I just think that this would have been the most evident culprit if it were the skimmer. Keep in mind this has only been going on for a few months...the tank is 3+ years old. I would think it would have shown up before now. BUT again maybe not. Im looking at either my RODI filters, old lights, etc as first options...going thru those first..If I didnt want peoples opinions I would have not asked! So your fine...and could be right!
Old 12-25-2005, 03:12 PM   #14
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Fishman, I am aware of the UV controversy But IMO it is one of the MVP`s of my tank. Yes I believe they do get rid of the algea spores and they do kill free swimming parasites that make it up into the chamber. It`s been many years since I`ve had algea and ich. Is it because of the UV. I guess we will never know. It could be because I feed my tank every other day or because I QT or the skimmer or because of all these reasons. I just refuse to not fix if it aint broken. Have a Merry Christmas to all of you.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 10:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Im all for it! Im glad to see someone that has success with it in the face of controversy! Good for you! Maybe I will try one as well. What all corals do you have? I didnt have ick in my tank until I took the UV off because of my reef. Maybe I will ask for one for my B-day!!
Thanks for the info
Old 12-25-2005, 10:17 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

What type of algae are we talking about?? HA, Cyno, other..

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 11:22 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

At first it was hair algae and green algea that grew on the glass...now its more like carpet algea. It grows in patches and is slimy to the touch. But when you try and grad ahold of it, you cant. I have to take the rock out of the tank and scrub the **&^&^ out of it to get it to come off! Really frustrating. And its not on every rock. Just on certain ones and ONLY the ones that are exposed to light. I have no rocks that are hid from the light that has it on them. Very odd. I do have red cyno diatoms but only from time to time. This is only the second time in 3+ years I have ever had any issues with algea..
Old 12-26-2005, 08:09 AM   #18
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

You can see my corals in my gallery, Fishman

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:00 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like you have cyno again, cyno can also be green. The seahare will not eat that type of algae and if all your HA is gone the seahare will not live long.
have you checked your PO4? Things that help cyno grow are old bulbs, PO4, low flow.

Guys in my reef club were passing around a seahare to keep it alive and to get rid of there HA issues.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:16 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

I will try and get a pic of it and post it. That was my original question was what if the seahare dies? Hes very hard to find and if he wont eat the stuff, then I want to get him out. I assume my tank will take a hit of him dieing - worst case scenerio.
I just finished changing all of my VHO bulbs. I also have a lot of flow. I have 2 returns and 6 maxijets in a 100 gallon tanks...the large maxijets.

Tags
hair, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com