Seeding base rock & what is the better deal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swishyfishies

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok my next question is how much LR do you need to seed base rock? Like is 16 lbs enough to seed 50 lbs of base rock? Or is half & half better & quicker? And how long does it take to completely get the baserock going?

Next, I have found some different deals, which is better? This is for Caribbean LR & baserock.

30 lb LR + 30 lb BR = 60 lb for $140 including shipping

16 lb LR + 50 lb BR = 66 lb for $115 including shipping

16 lb LR + 30 lb BR = 46 lb for $96 including shipping & I could add a few more pieces later on

I would go with the 30/30 deal. The more live rock you start off with the better. It usually takes 6 months to a year for the bacteria to colonize the base rock.

The more live rock you start off with the better

(y) Agreed!

It usually takes 6 months to a year for the bacteria to colonize the base rock.

I think this was a typo. It takes no longer for the bacteria to colonize the base rock than the LR. I does take quite some time for the rock to be encrusted with coraline algae and colonized by macro algae and polyps etc....

I used c-balance last time & got my Fiji LR of to a good start quickly it seems. I just wondered if I could use mostly baserock & put just enough LR in just for it to colonize on the base rock?? What do you think?

I think this was a typo. It takes no longer for the bacteria to colonize the base rock than the LR. I does take quite some time for the rock to be encrusted with coraline algae and colonized by macro algae and polyps etc....
Doesnt the bacteria have to spend some time reproducing to make enough of it to colonize the base and the LR?

Doesnt the bacteria have to spend some time reproducing to make enough of it to colonize the base and the LR?

Once nitrifying bacteria are established they reproduce rather quickly. Base rock is just as suitable a media as LR for bacteria, therefore when the first ones start reproducing it is just as likely they will colonize the base rock as the LR. To put it another way, if you fill a tank with 1/2 base rock and 1/2 LR, it will take 4-6 weeks to cycle (build up enough nitrifying bacteria to process waste), If you fill the same tank up with all LR, it will take 4-6 weeks to cycle, if you fill it all with base rock...it will cycle in 4-6 weeks.

The exception to this would be if cured LR was used, it would cycle much faster as well as help the tank cycle faster in the hal and half scenario.

Ok I understand what you said on cycling with diferent types of rock but does that answer the same question as to how long it will take to start seeing growth on the base rock??? Say you only use 10 lbs of LR (just enough for the bacteria) & 50 lbs of BR. How much time does it take before the BR starts showing growth from that small amount of LR. Is it almost instantly like the LR since water circulation would immediately carry the bacteria from the LR to the BR?? Or maybe I just misunderstood what you just wrote.

IME, The few pieces of BR that I have took 3 months to start showing significant growth...mostly coralline...It still doesn't look like the LR though...
The answer to the question is really hard to answer since every tank and conditions are different.
Water, lighting, LR and BR are all factors in how fast or slow the growth is going to be..
I see it everytime I go to the LFS and the corals and LR are under high wattage MH lighting...the growth and vibrance of colors are phenominal. I come home to my tank and see that the NOF light I have is my main hinderance for growth and color. So, in saying that, the conditions and lighting will make a huge impact on how fast growth is noticed in the tank...

I'll have 4 watts per gallon when I start this tank & within the 1st year I'll have increased to almost 5 watts per gallon. With my old salt tank I noticed fast growth on my LR once we installed the extra lights & canopy that are the current 4 watts per gallon. They are also half blue/half day compact flourescents. I also like to use c-balance for calcium & trace elements to get my live rock really going although I don't keep corals. So I agree with you, I guess it all does depend on these elements for the rate of growth. :wink:

when you say base rock, you're talking about dead rock, right? because some places sell lr labelled as baserock just because it doesn't really look as good.

Back
Top Bottom