Setting up a new saltwater tank. Kit or no kit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ebsltd

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had many a saltwater set up but got out of it many years ago. I want to get my feet wet again but with a small tank. Money is not the issue but want to start in the right direction. looking at Red Sea kits and others. Pros and cons is the advice that I am looking for. I do NOT want a big tank. Thinking 20 gallons or so. Kit or no kit. Curved tank? Lights. Help....

Money is not the issue but you want to stay small? Can you do a 55g? You can do a lot more with this size.

Kits are nice but I'd rather part out my system and focus on big skimming area.

The op did say "I do NOT want a big tank" so I kinda think a 55 is out. I understand the logic, I went with a 20 so as not to be having to buy 5+ gallons of distilled and the salt a week. Its easier with my hectic schedule to perform adequate maintenance on a 20 than 55.

One piece of advice ebsltd, I went with a 20 high, I'd suggest a 20 long if you have space for it, the footprint gives more length.

If money is not an issue, I say go piece by piece instead of a kit. That way you can get better things, like a better reef light. Or a ro/di unit

29g that is 30" long would be a nice started size to piece out.

I hear you on the less overall work. But with a smaller aquarium you have to be even more on top of things like evaporation and elements. 55g is a nice started size actually. But it can seem big and hard to find room for thats true.

ok bigger is better....

Have talked myself into a 35 - 55 gallon unit now. I really do like the look of the Red Sea aquariums kits. Clean and sleek. Any great kits other than the Red Sea? I am still doing my homework. Thanks everybody.

This webs its is so time consuming to figure out, I would rather look elsewhere... It is not user friendly. Sorry

Back
Top Bottom