Setting up a refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feron

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I've got a 90g tank with a wet/dry and want to set up a fuge.
hob or any other stuff in sight is not really an option (I detest even the powerheads and am working up some pvc outlets fed off the main return with a powerful pump - hopefully that pans out else I break out the ph's).
Unfortunatly, since I am a stickler for aesthetics, my space is really limited in the stand.
Basically have 17x17x20 space to work with (and that's TIGHT).
I know I can get a 16x8x17 (l/w/h) 10g tall from glasscages.com and that leaves me scant room for a light for the thing.

Where I need advice:
Is 10g enough of a fuge to bother with for a 90g tank or should I plumb in some setup in the basement and deliver it back to the sump for return?

Lighting... is a tiny fixture (1 or 2 t18 bulb fixture or some such) going to be sufficient for the macros?

Flow.. I assume low flow is preferable in a fuge, but how about to and fro from the cleaned water in the sump? equal powerheads both ways? The fuge will be parked very snug like next to the sump with the filtration and return pump, so if some sort of gravity return-to-sump would work I could go that route with a tiny ph to push water into the fuge.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

TIA

I use a MJ1200 to feed my fuge from my sump. I used to have the fuge raised above the sump and then it drained back into the sump and now I have the fuge inside the sump in a separate container. I just use the PH to feed the fuge and it drain out a hole I drilled to the sump.

Lot of ways to do it really. I have a basement sump/fuge and frag tank so I think a basement setup is great. :)

ooooo I was itching to drill holes in the floor muhahaha ;)
actually...now that I think about it.. I have a great place in the basement for a fuge...it'd be about 12ft head tho...gonna need more then a max1200 methinks :/

I use a mak4 to supply my 75 gal. I push about 14-16ft. My overflow can only handle about 700 gph so that is about all I get.

hmm.. I'd wanna push the fuge to the sump, which runs on a mag12.. so I can handle a decent flow back into the sump provided I balance the water right I spose...

Not sure what you mean? If you can feed the fuge from the sump and then let it gravity feed back, that would be the best. You could try to split the drain from the tank as well. I considered it but with a basement sump, the drain creates a few bubbles.

Back
Top Bottom