Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2016, 12:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Setting up a used nano tank

Have a few questions, I picked up a used saltwater tank, came with sand and few pieces of live rock, tank was emptied a few days back before I picked it up. Sand and rock are still damp. Was told her fish died off and the tank had bristle worms. Should I refill it as is with saltwater or run my tap water thru everything and fill it with freshwater and add salt later?

Sent from my XT1034 using Tapatalk

Old 06-27-2016, 01:30 AM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Filling it with freshwater will kill off what little remaining bacteria are in the rocks and sand. I would fill it up with saltwater made with ro/di water so you can cycle the tank properly.
As for the bristle worms, they are a beneficial member of your clean up crew.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:14 PM   #3
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

IMO I would replace the sand I would never recycle sand , since you'll need to run a new cycle in the tank this would be the perfect opportunity . you don't want to bring in old problems ,

If all the previous owners fish died off there was a reason . try to research why they died before you start up , I would hate to see you go through that very same issue .

every effort to make this tank clean from any parasites and what ever other nasty s there may be . you want a healthy tank,

you also should find out if there was any type of treatments done in the tank to be sure your not going to have any heavy metals such as copper leach out from the rock , as if there are heavy metals it will be impossible to keep inverts and some corals , always better to be safe than sorry , as many will tell you from trial and error .
Old 06-27-2016, 02:27 PM   #4

Would soaking the live rock in freshwater kill off any possible issues or should I just dry it all out and buy a piece of live rock to seed it after the tank cycles

Old 06-27-2016, 04:28 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

If there were any heavy metals in the tank, you could throw in a pack of Cuprisorb, it detoxifies copper and other heavy metals

Sent via echolocation
Old 06-27-2016, 04:38 PM   #6
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

not knowing if the main tank was ever treated with any copper based medications , makes it hard to determine if its worth using or not using , that's a risk you would need to decide .

anyway you look at it you are going to have to do a cycle weather its with the rock you have taking that unknown risk since you know all the previous owners fish just died off from unknown causes and were they treated with copper or clean base rock not having any of those issues, all rock will become live over time ,

It's hard to give you rock solid advice not knowing what the fish died from and if copper was ever used to treat ,

that call would be left on you , if it were me I would contact the previous owner and ask these questions , that's the only way you would know if you can proceed with the rock you have or to just replace it with base rock,

you need to realize SW is not a cheap hobby and to risk loosing fish from the unknown
is it worth that risk or start clean ,

maybe some one else will chime in with there thoughts with this ,
Old 06-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #7
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

In terms of anything living in the rock itself, a freshwater dip will ensure anything in them will come out quickly.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:25 AM   #8

Ok, so this is what I ended up doing. I soaked the rock in Ro.di
water for 4 days. After that I rinsed and scrubbed rock and is now sitting in the tank bare bottom. SG is 1.024 and temp is 78įF. Any tips recommendations moving forward.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:10 AM   #9
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

You can add sand and cycle your tank.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #10

Can't I just add a piece of frozen shrimp and leave it bare bottom?

Tags
nano, nano tank, setting up, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com