Setting up FO tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terrance

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a few fw tanks up and running. If i want an fo 40gal tank, then all i need is marine salt and refractometer and sw test kit. Besides premixing the water, do i need to think about anything else or buy anything else?

Even in fish only I would use live rock as your main filtration.

Unless you are deadset on a bunch of fish that are not reef safe, most fo tanks quickly turn into reef tanks. I recommend you plan for this inevitability and stock only fish that are reef safe so that if you too end up falling into group you aren't stuck pulling fish out. Corals are simply too easy, too cheap, and too available to not get sucked in to them in two months when the tank is full of fish but you can buy corals.

I am thinking of a fo tnak as well but will probably add some live rock as well for further filtration. You can get base rock too whichis pretty cheap, maybe $2 to $3 a lb. Your fish will also want places to hide and swim through as well.

I was thinking just fish myself with no rock but I've since changed my mind. :)

My mind is set on a 2-3 fish that is not reef safe. I'll add live rocks into my future plans. Live rock can go without light, but will temperature affect it?

64-68F degree for a particular fish.

Takifugu ocellatus

edit: only one fish though with no tankmates. when I said 2-3, I meant I have a few options for singleton fish.

I'm not sure what to use to premix my saltwater. What is something i can go buy to premix?

edit: I'm thinking about premixing approx 50 gallons of water, so its not economical to buy 10 five gallon buckets with powerhead and heater in each of those buckets. I read "get a big tub", but what exactly is that referring to?

Most people use Brute trash cans to mix larger amounts of water in.

how would I get the water from the Brute trash cans to the aquarium?

If you have an easily accessible sump, you can just pull the return pump out, hook it to a hose and pump it out. Otherwise, invest in a pump that can send the water from the bottom of the trashcan to at least the top of the tank if no sump or to the top of the trashcan if you have a sump. In the latter situation, you be sending the new water to the sump.

Back
Top Bottom