Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2010, 04:54 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would say the rock to keep it live you would need heater and water flow with proper salt amounts and to feed it. Live sand is a waste of money.

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 05:09 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aragonite Sand Is the way to go. It will become live very fast and you would be amazed at the life that comes out of your LR and moves into your sand. You can also get a couple of handfulls of live sand from a friend or your LFS and just put that in to get your sand going even faster,

Old 04-25-2010, 05:09 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmaster View Post
I would say the rock to keep it live you would need heater and water flow with proper salt amounts and to feed it. Live sand is a waste of money.
Thanks,

What is the proper temperature?
What should be the proper salinity or specific Gravity?
Oh, and what should I feed my Live Rock?

Raudel
Old 04-25-2010, 05:12 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
Aragonite Sand Is the way to go. It will become live very fast and you would be amazed at the life that comes out of your LR and moves into your sand. You can also get a couple of handfulls of live sand from a friend or your LFS and just put that in to get your sand going even faster,
Thanks, I'll do Aragonite Sand then. (Now what color to choose?) I currently have 50lbs of Black Sand but many say White sand is the way to go.

I've seen, Black, White or natural, even Golden. Anyone have any pointers/tips as to which color should I get and why?

Raudel
Old 04-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaudelJr View Post
Thanks, I'll do Aragonite Sand then. (Now what color to choose?) I currently have 50lbs of Black Sand but many say White sand is the way to go.

I've seen, Black, White or natural, even Golden. Anyone have any pointers/tips as to which color should I get and why?

Raudel
Black is beautiful when you first put it in but it gets "dirty" looking very quickly and requires more maintance than natural or white.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaniel2882 View Post
Black is beautiful when you first put it in but it gets "dirty" looking very quickly and requires more maintance than natural or white.
So Black I'll do away with the Black then.

So we are left with Natural, White, or Golden.
Anyone recommend one over the other for any specific reasons?
Any photos that my help me choose?

Raudel
Old 04-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's your pick. The one that you like best.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone know how the make "Black Aragonite sand or is it aragonite?
Old 04-25-2010, 06:16 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by thincat View Post
It's your pick. The one that you like best.
The reason why I ask for Sand color recommendations, is because once it's in the display tank it is pretty much there to stay. I don't want to make a mistake and then tell my self I should have gotten another color. Do you know which brings out more the color in a tank, the natural feel, which one does better when dirty, which looks better with corals, Which does better with the lighting, etc.??

YOU ask how to make black aragonite sand? Good question. I was given 50lbs in a bucket with saltwater, but I think it was bought this way.

Raudel
Old 04-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaudelJr View Post
Thanks,

What is the proper temperature?
What should be the proper salinity or specific Gravity?
Oh, and what should I feed my Live Rock?

Raudel
Same temp and salinity as your main tank is best... as for food for the LR, most sources of ammonia work for your tank. (any fish food or dieing plant material... I even saw one place that said urine was an okay source to keep your rock "cycled") the easiest way would just be a little fish food every now and then. (not sure how much you need for your rock you would have to ask someone else)

Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salt, salt water, salt water tank, setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com