Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2011, 07:12 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I started moving stuff last night. today I took the overflow off the back of the tank, along with the pipes & such. My tank must be in real good shape because the coraline algea is THICK, and all over. Took alot of scrubbing to get it off.

Got about 1/2 of my rock into the 55 now and it's going to be packed but I think I can get most of it in there.

Thinking about heavy duty wheels on my stand this time, that way I can scoot it out and clean behind it. Any problems with that?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Be sure to leave room for the fish lol with to much rock the water flow suffers it's a pain to find the right balance.
The wheels with only 4 points of contact id be concerned about stability it can be done. you may want to skirt the bottom of the stand to hide those big wheels you will need to lower the water level when moving to avoid spills. Any youngsters about that may push your tank around?

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:48 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually it's 4 locking wheels and 11 regular wheels. and a skirt won't be needed.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 08-06-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

You'll be fine. I like the idea of being able to move the tank around

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
You'll be fine. I like the idea of being able to move the tank around

Me too, had to take a 65" big screen tv apart just to get it in the house.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 08-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dralarms
I started moving stuff last night. today I took the overflow off the back of the tank, along with the pipes & such. My tank must be in real good shape because the coraline algea is THICK, and all over. Took alot of scrubbing to get it off.

Got about 1/2 of my rock into the 55 now and it's going to be packed but I think I can get most of it in there.

Thinking about heavy duty wheels on my stand this time, that way I can scoot it out and clean behind it. Any problems with that?
IMO,you would be courting disaster trying to move a 55 gallon tank on wheels once it's fully operational.The weight of the rock and water and sand would strain the tank and stand.Not to mention movement inside the tank messing up your coral placement ,etc.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksreef View Post
IMO,you would be courting disaster trying to move a 55 gallon tank on wheels once it's fully operational.The weight of the rock and water and sand would strain the tank and stand.Not to mention movement inside the tank messing up your coral placement ,etc.
Appreciate the thought but I'm not going to run races with it, just move it forward a little to be able to clean up the dust and such behind it.

Oh and it's the 120H that has wheels.

Finally got the new tank in the house on the stand, only used 12 wheels, but looking at it I think it will be fine. To make a long story short, the tank gas been beside a ac vent for 8 or 9 years, salt creep & such killing the vent in very short order. I have contacted to have the vent moved so I can actually move the tank 8 to 10 inches away from the door. Now sure when the ac guy will be able to do this so I either have to wait on him to get done, or make a way to move the tank once loaded, hence the wheel idea.

Now this is not a factory stand, I built this stand using plans found here on this site and you could drive a truck over it and not be afraid of it coming apart.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 08-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird79 View Post
U can use the plates for keeping the rocks off the glass but u would probably be better off getting some egg create from the hardware store. Its cheep
Searched lowes on line and can't find it. Do you know what those idiots call egg crate?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 08-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

now i have NO clue what they call egg crates but the idiots comment made me laugh.

try walmart... should be able to snatch some from them
huma-huma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:49 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by huma-huma View Post
now i have NO clue what they call egg crates but the idiots comment made me laugh.

try walmart... should be able to snatch some from them
Oh thanks. Didn't think of them.

Vote for AquariumAdvice

Tags
setting up, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com