Short vacation advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bromion

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm going to be away for about 4 or 5 days with nobody to take care of my tank. I've got a 58gal reef with LR, few corals, inverts, and one small Clownfish. Will the clown likely be OK without feeding for that time period, or should I get an automatic feeder?

for my tanks I use the automatic feeder when not at home for a few days or a week. I also have a topoff set up to keep the water from getting low in the tanks. You should also have lights on timers. but the best is always have someone to look in on them if you can IMO, Bamaboy :)

Automatic feeders are ok. I find that whenever I get someone to feed my fish they tend to over feed. Knowing this I will tell them to feed every other day.....but they usually give in and feed every day anyway. :roll:

From my own experience, last June when I was off to europe for 2 weeks:

- Do a good water change.
- Put some light on a timer.
- Get an auto feeder and test it again and again. Flake food should be crushed to almost a dusting, otherwise some pieces could get stuck and prevent food from coming out.
- Setup and test a top off system with a float valve and container of water.

Test everything to ensure that works correctly. HTH

8)

I've got an auto top-off that I have been using for months. No worries there. Lighting is on a regular schedule with timers. That's all automated. I mainly wonder if my Clownfish can go without feeding for 4-5 days. Could it scrounge enough food from the tank?

Clownfish can go a few weeks without feeding. If your vacation is no longer than a week, I would say just let your tank be. As long as your auto top-off is working properly and your lighting is on timers you will be fine. I would also suggest doing a nice 25% water change the day you leave for good measure.

I agree. I feed a little heavier for a couple of days before departing. Top the water off to the upper limit. I wouldn't even think about an auto feeder for just one fish. Only bad things (water fouling) can come from that IMO.

I'm thnking you'll be OK for that time. I've done 7 w/out any problems. And a bunch more fish.

Up to a week you will be OK on feeding. Water top off will be your only problem. Do a WC before you go. I`m sure one of us can stop by and check it out. :D

Back
Top Bottom