Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry you can't figure out what is causing that red algae. I would think all the GFO resins and things you have would take care of it!

With all of them, phosphates are at .02. This wouldn't be an issue if I could use my ro/di instead of using di water from walmart and giant eagle. Either way, looks like alk is my real battle atm.

Well, ordered new salt, a mag test kit to complete my set, and some BRS 2 part to get the alk levels up. Going to be trying out Red Sea coral pro salt this time around over the Kent. I liked Kent, but with the alk issue continuing and it not being sold on BRS, thought I'd switch it up. Hear good things about red sea's salt so why not? Have a nice bucket instead of bags in a box this time too.

So, After todays water change and removal of the algae from the sump...I noticed something. It wasn't as overwhelming as normal. Cool. So I go about my day not doing much else other than cold medicine and naps. I just noticed alittle bit ago that the algae that was growing in the display is slowly declining as well. Really cool.
Also working on the alkalinity issue until the kalk and such arrives this week. I'm hoping this also shows improvement on my blue symphodium that has been closed up for about a week.

So, After todays water change and removal of the algae from the sump...I noticed something. It wasn't as overwhelming as normal. Cool. So I go about my day not doing much else other than cold medicine and naps. I just noticed alittle bit ago that the algae that was growing in the display is slowly declining as well. Really cool.
Also working on the alkalinity issue until the kalk and such arrives this week. I'm hoping this also shows improvement on my blue symphodium that has been closed up for about a week.

Good job on the progress I hope it continues!

Thanks. There are always ups and downs. I've been mad at the flow in the tank. Now with the algae off the power heads the sand from under the clam is being pushed out from under it. As I'm investigating that, who do I see but the conch! Thought that guy was dead. Even limited to 55 gallons, the tank continues to surprise me. There is nothing like the feeling of something you thought was dead show back up again. Seeing one of the tiny Pom Pom crabs walk across the tank is always something. There are such neat creatures out there that we can tend too.

Thanks. There are always ups and downs. I've been mad at the flow in the tank. Now with the algae off the power heads the sand from under the clam is being pushed out from under it. As I'm investigating that, who do I see but the conch! Thought that guy was dead. Even limited to 55 gallons, the tank continues to surprise me. There is nothing like the feeling of something you thought was dead show back up again. Seeing one of the tiny Pom Pom crabs walk across the tank is always something. There are such neat creatures out there that we can tend too.

Nice that you found your conch! I always wonder when I see a pom pom how many I have left. Had three but I seem to only see one at a time, on rare occasions I will see two at once. Here is a shot of one from last week, a day after I added the frogspawn frag.

Attachments

• image-1845766353.jpg
    image-1845766353.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 111
Funny today I got to see two of he pom pom crabs out at the same time. Could it be that all three are still there?

Anyways hope you are having some continued success!

Start talking about those little guys and guess who came out during feeding time today? Pom Pom crab. He has gotten pretty big too. Only question is where he left his anemones.

So today was off to the store. Had coupons from Petco, for a fish and dog food. Sadly, no fish that would work in my system. They had a red and green rimmed mini carpet I wanted, but didn't want to chance where it went with he tank so stocked.
I then happened through my lfs. Sponge crabs, 'squid tentacle' anemone, and dragonettes galore! And massive dragonettes too, bigger than my thumb. But what is coming home with me is a very active purple firefish. I always wanted one and one of the 3 was really active. He dug into the gravel to hide real quick when they went to get him. Here is hoping he doesn't jump out my open tank! With no overly aggressiveness in my tank I'm not too worried. He has tons of rock and sand to hide.

Congratulations on your new fishy friend. I love Purple Firefishes, and am considering one for my next build. :)

I went to Petco today with my 25% off a fish coupon and wanted something nice. Sadly, they had nothing nice. I had to come home with something. If only I could have brought home another dragonette. They for whatever reason have amazing ones always. Such huge mandarins. A spotted one would be great. Just wouldn't play nice with the green one, who is smaller. And who knows if theyd eat mysis like the one I have. Owell, he is cool and hopefully comes out again soon. CUrrently hiding in with my engineer goby.

So, alk is up to 96. That is 5, almost at 6. Working on it getting up there. As it goes up, I hadn't noticed the lack of opening my blue symphodium was showing and has been opening up more. They are def my alk test without having to test.
I also tried out my new red sea mag test. A tad complicated with 3 steps, but no big deal really. 1240 roughly. Not bad to do for the first time, just wish there was a hanna test for it!

Yeah, I know of the one being alive in my tank still. No anemones, but alive. He is as big as the emerald crabs I used to have, so he has to be doing well eating something.
As for the fire fish, I hope he's alive too. I made them catch the healthiest looking one and he wasn't cheap.
In unrelated news, I've continued down the path of alkalinity. Tested last night and it went down to 73. Did math and how much needed added and so on. Added half what was needed to the top off so it can be slowly work it's way up. I'll test after work again and see where things are at before tomorrow's Pittsburgh trip...which might turn into a fish store trip.

Continued tank activity. The pom pom less crab has continued to be out and about. The mean bristle star stole the engineer goby's den again so he was out and about in the overhang where the marine beta hides. Fed the tank and cleaned up some algae. Discovered that my RBTA has grown and was rubbing against the zoas I hid in the back. Moved the zoas to the front so they didn't get stung to death.

So today I've continued to test the alk. It is looking like I'll need a fluid ounce a day to keep alk at 7. Still early though and will keep testing as daily as I can.
Also, no sign of the purple firefish. So that guy is gone. Expensive food for the starfish. Too bad. Hopefully I find someone to fill that "empty fish spot" here at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom