Upgrading from 28 Gal to 65 Gal FW Planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPD1029

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,,

I am upgrading my 28 Gallon Nano to a new 65 Gall tank. The tank and what I have so far are as follows:

Tank: 65 Gallon 36"x18"x25"
Hood: Coralife "Aqualight" 36" with 2 T5's which are NON HO 6700k and Colormax bulbs.
Filter: Fulval "Aquaclear" 70
Heater: Aqueon Pro 200W
Substrate: Miracle Gro Organic Choice Potting Mix capped with Black Diamond blasting sand
Aquascape: Driftwood (Main focal piece approx. 24"x9"x19")and petrified wood

Plants so far:

1. Anubias
2. Anubias Nana
3. Some Corkscrew
4. Nesia
5. Wisteria
6. Hornwort
7. Java Fern Narrow leaf
8. Some Dwarf Grass
9. Compacta
10.Peacock Fern

Most of these are from my existing tank. All are small to med bunches.

Inhabitants: (Those I can see )

3- Brilliant Rasboras
3- Harlequin Rasboras
3- XRay Tetras
1- Blue Ram
1- Yellow Ram
1- Honey Dwarf Gourami
1- Red Dwarf Gourami Blue Color
1- Yellow/Orange Swordtail
1- Zebra Tetra but not a Tetra Look a Like. It's peaceful just can't remember it's true name cause of my CRS
I also have a few Octos but not sure how many cause the really blend in I think there are 2-4 left

Later I plan to add a couple more Rams and Rasboras along with a school of RummyNose, 2-3 small angels and some Cherry Shrimp

I plan to have the old tank broke down and the new tank in place this week. I am soaking the new big piece of driftwood in the bathtub and I will begin rinsing the substrate components tomorrow.
I cycled a 10 Gallon tank to temporarily house the fish and plants until the new tank is ready.
I will be using water from the existing tank along with some of the filter media from it as well to put in the 65. The rest will be RODI water I will make from my 4 filter system.

So now that y'all see what I have I have a few questions.

1. Would it be OK to put the driftwood with their slate bottoms in the tank first and build the substrate around them instead of after to cut down on the mess doing it after the dirt is down?
2. I want to have enough plants to keep the eco/biological system working well but not so many that they overpower the tank. I really want to keep a good portion on the substrate, driftwood and rocks in view. So do I have enough already or can I still add more slow growing plants? I know that what I'm doing is a "Walstad" type tank but I will have the HOB Aquaclear running as well.

Thanks for any and all input.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom