Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had the Reef Octopus NWB150 6” Pinwheel In Sump Protein Skimmer, since the beginning. I can't compare it with others, as it's the only one I've had, but I think it does a great job. Pulls out a lot of crap. It was very easy to dial in. The only downside was how loud it was initially, but you can make a DIY silencer with PVC super easy and cheap. The other need-to-know is that it needs fairly consistent water depth. It will work well once dialed in, and also within plus or minus 1/2" of water and then it will start to overflow.

Well sadly, I already have that skimmer. It's way too big and doesn't skim at all. I've tried working with the company, but they say it is all because it is too big.

So, with the MP40 coming on Thursday I decided to take pictures of the end of my tanks. I can't decide on where to try placement. I'd like it in the middle, but since my rockscape is through the center of the tank that would make things more difficult. Obviously don't mind the current powerheads as they can/will be removed upon adding the MP40 to one side. Forgive the poor quality of the pictures, lights are just coming on and there is a wall to deal with.

I don't recall if you have a sump or not but if you do then I would mound it at the end opposite your overflow box and I would put it about 1/3 the way down from the top. The rock being in the middle will not be an issue with an mp40, the create such a strong current that the water will flow everywhere. I have 2 on my 90 and can't find a low flow spot for my duncan.

I believe my skimmer is an swc forget the the number but it's big and beefy and works well, compared to the old remora hob i had everything is big and beefy lookin.

UPGRADE 55 gal Build

You'll just have to move the mp40 around and see where you like it the most, I've moved mine about 5 times.

Happy new year btw, hope the next year brings you all sorts of good news to report and a conquer of the issues your battling.

I've continued researching skimmers. The AquaC ones are interesting to say the least. Still very undecided.
Fed the tank and pulled out some algae here and there. Minor stuff. Only neat thing was seeing some astera stars up on the back glass. Been awhile since I've seen any, so kinda cool.

Finally installed the mp40. Really cool. I put it off to the side of the aquascape rather than infront of the rocks. Just made good sense that way. Here is a quick pic of it. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1388961277.432856.jpg

I just recently installed an eshopps skimmer on a frag tank at my store that I had leftover from selling them a while back. Finally pulled it out of the box and set it up. Gotta say the little bugger works quite well and s quiet. I have a Reef Octopus Diablo to install next so jury is out on that as far as skimming but I mat say between the two the Eshapos goes together much easier & fully disassembles for cleaning.

Nice on the MP40! Don't get too attached to its placement.... I've moved mine up/down/left/right about a dozen times since I put my MP10 on... Any thoughts on the mode you will run?

I've already moved the MP40 once. Pretty optimal place right now. It is currently in tidal swell mode. Jury is out. I originally wanted short pulse, but didn't like it as much as I thought I would.
Keith, how is the skimming out of the Eshopps? Just really need to get a skimmer that'll work on this system.

I am actually very happy with the skimming. It is foaming like a monster and was actually skimming same day as it was setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom