Sniperhank's UPGRADED 55 gal Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389569392.997281.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389569403.971534.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389569414.743937.jpg
Ok. There it is all set up. I made it into 3 pieces. The one small one under the return line then 2 on each half. It was cut to go over and around the overflow. The orange back wrasse is in the tank and long hidden. The rest of the tank is too since the lights were out during acclimation.

Yeah that's for sure. I tell you though I sure don't buy the whole "your skimmer is too big" excuse they are giving you. I just posted a pic of my commercial skimmer producing skimmate. It is rated for almost 4000 gallons and right now it is not even connected up to 600 gallons & with only about 10 fish. All small fish too. Nothing with a big bioload.

Yeah, I fully believe it is the pump. There are many complains across the internet about that exact pump on that exact skimmer...sadly the upgraded pump is about the price of a new skimmer.

Nothing major to update today...sucked up the remaining cyano during the water change. While up in Erie, stumbled upon some Purigen. Since I was out, grabbed it up and tossed the little package into the sump. I also grabbed some Kent organic absorption resin. I read it and it sounds like Purigen to me...and sounds easier to recharge...without the bleach too! We'll see how it goes after this Purigen runs its course.

Did you go to the Sea Cave when in Erie? They're a bit pricy but that's where I've gotten most of my corals. It's pretty much the only option if you live in the Erie area.

The psk-75 came today. Really easy to out together and get started. Can't wait for it to get skimming. Have it lightly adjusted for the time being while it tunes in.

The psk-75 is already skimming. I'm dumbfounded and amazed at the same time. Very excited. Thanks for those that recommended it.
On a side note, my carpet anemone was acting odd last night. This was followed with it throwing up pretty heavily. Today I examined things, and was looking at some of it as a large, odd looking worm or tentacle. As it stands, the yellow brittle star I had in my tank is MIA. Thing was as big as my hand, larger than the carpet. Unknown if the entire starfish is gone or if the arms that ended up 'breaking off' over the last month were what was consumed...or if the carpet is the reason for them breaking off. The investigation continues and will see if the greedy pig shows up during feeding time on Saturday.

Water change day. The usual in terms of that and removing algae from the tank here and there. Turns out either myself or the dog had unplugged the mp40 and I had a small cyano showing up on that side of the tank. Sucked it out and got it plugged back in.
Also changed media today. The phosban remained, but the carbon that was in the other reactor was replaced with Kent absorbing media...which is basically Purigen. That along with a small pack of Purigen I had laying in the sump. That should help with matters, along with improving the way the Purigen itself was being run.
Nothing else really to report due to trying to keep costs low on the tank to open up the chances of upgrading this upgraded tank after buying a home. Still a ways away from things, but just keeping things as solid as possible.

How's the skimmer and the anemone doing?? You find that brittle star?

The skimmer is doing ok. Still needs to finish breaking in. Skimming has stopped, but that is most likely due to me fiddling and accidentally opening the water open the whole way which dropped the water level. Had to readjust it some.
Which anemone are you talking about, the Rbta or carpet? Both are doing well. Especially the bubble tip, which has continued to grow and is pretty constantly homing the male orange clown. The b/w female is usually out and about much more often and never actually goes into the anemone, though sleeps very close to it.
As for the bristle star, no sign of it at all. Was WAY too big to just miss it, so it is a goner.

The skimmer is doing ok. Still needs to finish breaking in. Skimming has stopped, but that is most likely due to me fiddling and accidentally opening the water open the whole way which dropped the water level. Had to readjust it some.
Which anemone are you talking about, the Rbta or carpet? Both are doing well. Especially the bubble tip, which has continued to grow and is pretty constantly homing the male orange clown. The b/w female is usually out and about much more often and never actually goes into the anemone, though sleeps very close to it.
As for the bristle star, no sign of it at all. Was WAY too big to just miss it, so it is a goner.

Yeah I was asking about the carpet, you had mentioned it. Bummer about the yellow brittle, hope he shows up. Mine always pokes his head out for mysis.

Interesting about your b/w, my true perc will do the same thing sometimes. Makes me wonder if he just likes chilling outside instead. Or maybe they just feel safe.

Actually, with the brittle gone my clams aren't always being run over when I feed. So, a positive in the end.

I have a big brittle star that is banished to my 1st sump chamber ill give you for free! Hes a fish catcher but very cool.LOL. Hows the tank looking?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom