So I got my pickling lime (Kalkwasser), now what's next??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What if I don't (yet) have a sump? Right now I am topping off with RO water every day with a watering can. Could I make Kalk and just add it that way?

As it stands, I'm trying to bump my Ca up so it's balanced properly with my Alk. Then I will use C-Balance.

flynnternet said:
What if I don't (yet) have a sump? Right now I am topping off with RO water every day with a watering can. Could I make Kalk and just add it that way?
Kalk does not need to be dripped into the sump only. I use a 4 lt milk jug and sit it on top of the tank light hood. I use an aquadosing tube from Kent Marine and let it drip at about 2-3 drops/sec after lights out. Make sure the container used is an inert plastic, preferabley disposable. What is the watering can made from?

As it stands, I'm trying to bump my Ca up so it's balanced properly with my Alk. Then I will use C-Balance.
Kalkwasser is a balanced additive and will not raise just one part of the equation, it willl raise both. If just needing to up the Ca, use a dry or liquid form of CaCl to bolster the level and then use the kalk to maintain it. C-balance and kalk do basically the same thing except kalk is a one step additive.

What are your numbers right now?

Cheers
Steve

Watering can is plastic. Not positive it's inert to be honest. Not sure how to tell.

My Alk is at about 9dKH and my Ca is at about 370ppm (last time I checked which was two days ago). I have been using Kent Turbo, mixing about 2 teaspoons in with my top off water per day (I added my cleaner crew and two shrimps yesterday , so I didn;t add the Ca. Didn't want to change the params while they were acclimating in the tank after the 2.5 hour drip). Ca has risen maybe 10ppm per day. I am trying to get into the "red zone" in that great chart. I already have C-balance, and will use that once I've gotten into the red zone.

flynnternet said:
Watering can is plastic. Not positive it's inert to be honest. Not sure how to tell.
Most plastics are, just be careful of ones that are used for any type of storage/disposal. Some can be coated with antifungal/mold products. If it's a food container, you will be fine.

My Alk is at about 9dKH and my Ca is at about 370ppm (last time I checked which was two days ago). I have been using Kent Turbo, mixing about 2 teaspoons in with my top off water per day (I added my cleaner crew and two shrimps yesterday , so I didn;t add the Ca. Didn't want to change the params while they were acclimating in the tank after the 2.5 hour drip). Ca has risen maybe 10ppm per day. I am trying to get into the "red zone" in that great chart. I already have C-balance, and will use that once I've gotten into the red zone.
You still have a bit to go on the Ca (420ish ppm) just remeber to keep the alk in line at the same time. The 10 ppm daily creep is a good goal and should not create any new problems. Just don't beat yourself up trying for exact numbers. Just being in the right "ranges" will serve the same purpose.

Once you get using the C-Balance, make sure you test daily to check the affectes. When my LFS was out of the Kent I used that and needed twice a much to do the same thing.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom