So Im staring at an empty tank....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeO88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just picked up my 150g 72'' tank (That was the heaviest thing that me and three friends have ever lifted in our lives)....yesterday. I was wondering what the bare minimum in equiptment would be to start cycling my tank. As of now I've got the tank, salt mix, and an aqarium test kit (Red Sea Marine). Is it best to have all systems in place before cycling begins or have people gradually added equiptment as time goes on?

Thanks a lot!
-Mike

PS: I checked the ammonia level of my tap water and got somewhere between 0 and .25 would is this from faulty testing? What would you recommend for this? R/O?

Shouldn't have any ammonia in your tap water I'm thinking. tet again or confirm with another test kit if possible. An ro/DI unit will help any tank IMO. Check the tap for phosphates also.

Reef or fish only? I'd begin my search for live rock about now.

Have you seen or heard of Robert Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist". I'd recommend starting there before you buy or do another thing. Good book, but ignore the part about cycling with fish/damsels. Uncured live rock can do that for you much better.

Austinsdad is right. No fish during the cycle.

I would go with the filter/sand/rock/PH/heater (or two) and the raw, uncooked shrimp for now. That should get you going, for now.

Back
Top Bottom