So it begins 90 gallon reef build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kirky88

Aquarium Advice Regular
So here is the start of my first reef build.
Still got a log way to go but my girlfriend and I are just so exited. As above it's about a 90 gallon tank with built in weir, sump, skimmer and 4x ho t5 (2 blue 2 white) will be updating the thread as it comes along.

Next step will be more rock and some wave makers

Attachments

• image-3701050936.jpg
    image-3701050936.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 143
  • image-3101944838.jpg
    image-3101944838.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 115
  • image-3478040072.jpg
    image-3478040072.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 130
  • image-1161277080.jpg
    image-1161277080.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 121
Awesome and good luck! I started my 75 a few weeks back so I'm going to follow along :)

Just lettin ya know if you want some more light dependent coral you might want another 4bulb T-5 HO light. I got 2 on mine and when I put some Xenia in there it doubled in size and opened like I've never seen within 1 day. :)

My stock wish list so far thoughts and suggestions are most welcome
Fox face (one spot)
Royal gramma
Blue reef chromis
Black and white clown
Orange clown
Splendid dotty back
Green mandarin fish
Flasher wrasse

Great list so far! What are you planning for a clean up crew?

Khij159753 said:
I like it :) just one of each?

I think I'd get 3 of the chromis but other than that probably just one of each

As far as CUC I'm still a little unfamiliar on what works best so still researching but my girlfriend has made the request of a starfish and also a couple of shrimp, so any help on CUC would be great

Sounds like a good stock :)
as far as CUC start with a variety of snails. Youll want plenty of different ones. Sometimes my lfs will sell me a mixed bag of snails for a discounted price. I'd recommend some hermit crabs. (yes they'll eat a few snails here an there but it's the circle of life) then after your tank is established you could get a starfish, some shrimp(I like skunk cleaner shrimp), and or an urchin. :)

If I were you I would hold off on the mandarin for about a year. Unless you find one that will eat frozen or pellets, it will be very difficult to keep alive in a new tank-unless you're willing to spend a lot of money buying the thousands if pods it will eat per day. And I highly recommend a skunk cleaner shrimp!! LOVE mine, and I wasn't sure about him at first. They have so much personality and watching them clean fish is funny.

Beengirl said:
If I were you I would hold off on the mandarin for about a year. Unless you find one that will eat frozen or pellets, it will be very difficult to keep alive in a new tank-unless you're willing to spend a lot of money buying the thousands if pods it will eat per day. And I highly recommend a skunk cleaner shrimp!! LOVE mine, and I wasn't sure about him at first. They have so much personality and watching them clean fish is funny.

That is a very good point, I asked my lfs to drop in some brine shrimp when I went and one of them ate it so he was the one I got!

Beengirl said:

I agree the mandarin will be the last fish added and thanks for the tip about seeing if they eat frozen food

Just wanted to thank everyone for their help so far you've all made a daunting task that much easier and hope you all follow along for the build

I will :) after you get the mandarin you still might want to keep it in a quarantine tank and make sure it's eating frozen for a good couple weeks. Or add it before you have a good pod population. :p I've heard of mandarins going into a tank with lots of pods an if there's enough to survive on they'll convert back and you'll have to train them all over again.

So I have a question about bio balls, why do they become "nitrate factories" and rock rubble doesn't?

Also I'm trying to decided what piece of equipment to buy next either power heads or save up for a chiller. It's coming into summer here so it's rather warm and also I have a return pump so I have a decent flow. But I also don't have any live stock in it yet as its cycling and chillers here are $400-$600

Found this little guy crawling around today thoughts?

Attachments

• image-1862329815.jpg
    image-1862329815.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 96
  • image-2531653311.jpg
    image-2531653311.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 94
Added some more base and live rock

Attachments

• image-3257946899.jpg
    image-3257946899.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 83
  • image-2878138603.jpg
    image-2878138603.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 72
  • image-3992960773.jpg
    image-3992960773.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 87
Awesome..free nassarius snail! I'm pretty sure bio balls can trap food and other detritus and that will decay, becoming nitrates. For rock rubble, they can cause nitrates as well, but what are the possibilities of waste getting trapped in bio balls clumped together rather than in rock rubble on the bottom. I guess it's just less likely that food is going to deliberately fall underneath a pile of rocks...at least that's my theory. Tank looks great btw!

obscurereef said:
Awesome..free nassarius snail! I'm pretty sure bio balls can trap food and other detritus and that will decay, becoming nitrates. For rock rubble, they can cause nitrates as well, but what are the possibilities of waste getting trapped in bio balls clumped together rather than in rock rubble on the bottom. I guess it's just less likely that food is going to deliberately fall underneath a pile of rocks...at least that's my theory. Tank looks great btw!

That makes sense I'm pretty sure I will be turning it into a refugium eventually but the sump came full of bio balls in the middle section so thought I'd check if it would be detrimental. Thanks I'm really happy with the scape I'm hoping the way I've done it gives me lots of places for corals

It's good, the only thing I'd suggest would be to tweak is perhaps taking some pieces of rock and putting them on top to make arches. They look a tad bit clumped together and if you add an arch or two you'll have more places for corals especially corals that need higher light. Taking out some rock and putting it on top might create some caves. If you want to keep it how it is then by all do. Just an idea :).

So currently in the process of cycling and going through the frustration of the waiting game haha once it all settles should I add fish or corals first?

Back
Top Bottom