So many things on LED lighting please help!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bulldog5

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm in the research part of my first reef tank build. 79 bow reef ready with sump. I want to go with LPS corals and fish. Not sure witch ones yet. I can't figure out what LED to get. I willing to spend up to $500. I'm seeing things with dimable, sunrise/sunset, seasons, and all different cycles. Even saw one that has clouds fly by and lighting storms. Sound good to me but I want other people thoughts who have been doing this for awhile to give a lesson on witch way to go. Please help!!!! And feel free to throw in some LPS's to look into!

Dimmers on separate channels allows you to control the appearance of your tank. The extra bells and whistles such as sunrise,sunset, and storms are cool but only for aesthetics and don't actually affect anything.

As for LPS I'm a fan of Chalices, Acans, and Blastos. Also like galaxeas. Common LPS are torch/hammer/frogspawn.

Dimmers on separate channels allows you to control the appearance of your tank. The extra bells and whistles such as sunrise,sunset, and storms are cool but only for aesthetics and don't actually affect anything. As for LPS I'm a fan of Chalices, Acans, and Blastos. Also like galaxeas. Common LPS are torch/hammer/frogspawn.

I was reading that having dimmers can help from bleaching the coral cause of them being on to high?

I was reading that having dimmers can help from bleaching the coral cause of them being on to high?
This is more important when switching lights so that you give your established corals time to adjust. Not so necessary with a new tank. As you add corals you should start them on the bottom of the tank and then slowly move them up as needed. Same principle but the first is for already added corals and the later for adding corals after the light.

Also, if you don't need/want all the bells and whistles the LEDs gaining popularity on here are the 120 watt dimmables found on eBay. You can get two for $230 which I think is all you would need(quantity wise). what are the dimensions of your tank?

The dimmable lights will let you adjust the color balance. More blue or more white I run mine a bit more blue to make the colors pop

Also, if you don't need/want all the bells and whistles the LEDs gaining popularity on here are the 120 watt dimmables found on eBay. You can get two for $230 which I think is all you would need(quantity wise). what are the dimensions of your tank?

My tank is 48x23x18

Then yes two of the 120 watt dimmable LEDs on eBay will be enough. If you want the bells and whistles of sunrise/sunset and storms for aesthetics then look at the more expensive brands.

If you want a little more bells and whistles while still saving money look at the pharos LEDs. I have some and they are sweet. The programmable controller is a nice touch also and includes cloud simulation.

If you want a little more bells and whistles while still saving money look at the pharos LEDs. I have some and they are sweet. The programmable controller is a nice touch also and includes cloud simulation.

Where r u finding them. I see them for over $700

Look at the taotronics dimmable reef lights on amazon. The are great light for a good price.

http://youtu.be/1SP_93depQg

I got these last week full spectrum 120w dimmable Cree LEDs. There awesome. I am almost done with my tank. This is the review I did on them. Hard to see because they give off so much light and the camera can't capture it all.

Back
Top Bottom