Some general questions before I start about water etc.!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

itzafugasi

Aquarium Advice Regular
After a few months of research and reading, ive decided to start up my tank. It will be FOWLR. Here are the main components:
55 Gallon tank, stand, glass hood, and double fluorescent lights (maybe HO)
60-75 lbs live rock, 2 maxi jet 1200's for circulation, 10-15 gallon sump, aqua c remora in sump skimmer, overflow, return pump, and RO/DI water. i have a few questions before i actually start that will clear a few things up for me. here are the ?'s:
1. What brand is a good overflow? i've seen a few on ebay by www.aquacrylics.com and I'd like to know if it makes a difference on brand. I want one w/ a U tube, 500-600 gph.
2. For mechanical filtration, is the sponge in the overflow box adequate enough, or should i devise a way to add more mechanical filtration in the sump, ie. another sponge or other filter media. i know this can lead to high nitrates, so if i do use a sponge or floss, i will rinse it out every other day. Also, I'll need to run carbon so i'd like to add that to the sump as well.
3. As for water, I am planning on having two garbage cans filled, 1 with salt water for water changes, and one with plain water for top offs. Is there a limit as to how long water and salt water can sit? If it sits for a few weeks or a month is that not good?
4. Another water question. Do any of you add anything to the water b4 it goes into the tank? stress coat, buffers, supplements, etc? Since ill be using RO/DI water, im assuming that a dechlorinator and heavy metal detoxifier is unnecessary.
5. Does the ph have to be adjusted b4 the water goes into the tank? (both salt water and top off water). if it does, how do u adjust it? ph up/down?

Thanks so much for any help!

I'm still new to SW and can only help with a few of the questions.

3. assuming new, clean trash cans, you should be able to store the r/o water for several weeks without problems. The salt water though...I start seeing salt creep in my mixing tub after 3 days. I dont' think you'd wanna let it sit for more than a week.
4. if using r/o water you shouldn't need a dechlor or metal detox. I think people add other things like buffers, kalk, reef supplements to the main tank after a water change, to avoid overdosing.
5. it shouldn't. your salt blend should be adding some buffer, and pH to the r/o water. most salts when mixed to 1.021 end up giving you moderate Calcium and alkalinity, with a pH around 8.2. I strongly urge you to NEVER use ph up/down products in any aquarium. They're too temporary, and usually contain phosphates which will really screw up your water quality.

1. What brand is a good overflow?
I don't have an overflow so I can't help there.
2. For mechanical filtration, is the sponge in the overflow box adequate enough,
I don't really use any mechanical filtration either. LR, a skimmer and GAC..that's all I've got plus hermits and snails.
If it sits for a few weeks or a month is that not good?
I think if you keep it aerated it should be good for several weeks.
Do any of you add anything to the water b4 it goes into the tank?
RO/DI water should be free of any heavy metals or toxins. Your salt mix should add every thing you need. If you are concerned about calcium and alkalinity...test for both and adjust the freshly mixed SW as needed.
5. Does the ph have to be adjusted b4 the water goes into the tank? (both salt water and top off water).
I've never had to adjust the pH of freshly mixed SW, most salt mixes do a good job of getting it to with a +/- .2 pH units of the tank. I've never adjusted or tested the pH of my RO top off water. Again, test the SW after mixing and aerating overnight and if it needs adjusted go from there.
HTH and good luck :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom