Starting a 10 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morgan24

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys I'm starting a little 10 gal. I'm going to make it a reef. The only question I have is can my cycle start without a substrate, cause I was going to go to the lfs and buy some sand, but instead ordered Aragamax at Dr Foster and Smith. It won't be here till next week. I already have the water in the tank mixed with 5lbs of LR and no sand will that be OK?

Your cycle will start slowly but you need a better source of ammonia to really start it. Read the article about fishless cycling.. please don't use live fish to cycle your tank. You probably need at least another 5 lbs of live rock...

yeah i'm ordering 15 lbs here on monday but i started it and wish i would've waited until i got my sand. I was hoping all the lr i get will help start the cycle and meybe i'll put a shrimp in the there. The lr i have in there is from my other tank i have. i was just wondering if the cycle would start without the sand or not. my other tank is a year old. I can't test for ammonia or trites i ran out of test packets which i didn't know until i went to test. so them are in with the sand order. I will post a pic of the tank, give me a min

Back
Top Bottom