Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
Starting a new 10g saltwater tank

Hello All! I am new to this, but have just started my 10 gallon salter aquarium. It was previously a freshwater tank. It is currently cycling. I took the water in for testing and the Ph was low, and nitrates and nitrites were high. I bought a reef buffer for the tank to try to help with the Ph. I also have yet to turn on the lights... unfortunately the hood I have only has screw in incandescent bulbs. I am not really planning on coral in the future, but if I were to it would only be soft corals. I am afraid of turning on these lights because of algae growth. Do you guys have any recommendations or screw in led bulbs that may help?
__________________

__________________
bittenflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittenflame View Post
Hello All! I am new to this, but have just started my 10 gallon salter aquarium. It was previously a freshwater tank. It is currently cycling. I took the water in for testing and the Ph was low, and nitrates and nitrites were high. I bought a reef buffer for the tank to try to help with the Ph. I also have yet to turn on the lights... unfortunately the hood I have only has screw in incandescent bulbs. I am not really planning on coral in the future, but if I were to it would only be soft corals. I am afraid of turning on these lights because of algae growth. Do you guys have any recommendations or screw in led bulbs that may help?
Welcome to AA!! Congrats on the tank! Now onto your post, what exactly was the pH? Usually adding anything to the tank buffer wise isn't always the best. Since it's cycling no need for the lights? What source of water are you using? Rodi? Tap? Distilled? Light is only 1 factor in algae growth, nutrient export is more important IMO. Again, welcome and let us know if you have any more questions!
__________________

__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
Thanks! I believe the Ph was 7.4. I took it to a local fish store to have it tested, and the guy who tested the water said that keeping the lights off lowers the Ph. He also recommended the buffer. I bought premade water from my chosen fish store (different place than where i had the water tested. ) I would like to put led lights in, but the highest k I can find in bulb form is 6500. I don't know if this would be ok.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
bittenflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittenflame View Post
Thanks! I believe the Ph was 7.4. I took it to a local fish store to have it tested, and the guy who tested the water said that keeping the lights off lowers the Ph. He also recommended the buffer. I bought premade water from my chosen fish store (different place than where i had the water tested. ) I would like to put led lights in, but the highest k I can find in bulb form is 6500. I don't know if this would be ok.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Aquarium Advice mobile app
You will need to replace your good if you want leds. Also, yes lights off does give a lower ph but it shouldn't be that low. Take a sample of the premade water to be tested and see what it's pH is. Do you have live rock and sand in the tank?
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
Yes, I have 10lbs of live rock and 10lbs of live sand. I have a bit of the premade water left over, however it is over a week old. Would it still be any good?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
bittenflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittenflame View Post
Yes, I have 10lbs of live rock and 10lbs of live sand. I have a bit of the premade water left over, however it is over a week old. Would it still be any good?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Should be fine
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
I will have to take it in then

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
bittenflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
nelix10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 468
I just got 2 rapid led screw in bulbs!
They are nice and work well! Mine were 89$ a piece
__________________
nelix10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Bectan01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: melbourne, australia
Posts: 1,930
Do you have any flow? A power head for water movement? It will be hard to get a good ph with a closed lid...
__________________
Bectan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
There is an over the back filter. I was told that would create enough flow

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
bittenflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:48 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittenflame View Post
There is an over the back filter. I was told that would create enough flow

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Aquarium Advice mobile app
You will want a small power head as well. Koralia 240 is great
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BigRedsReefs10's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,890
You just running a standard ten gal? I would either run it with no lid or get a glass or acrylic lid so you can upgrade your lighting. I would also pick up a power head (I'm running 2 korilia 240s on my ten with an ac30 hob filter) the filter alone will not give you enough flow for coral
__________________
BigRedsReefs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
I am running a standard 10 gallon. I am starting with fish only first then moving to soft corals later on. I can definitely pick up a power head if needed. I wish I could have no lid, but unfortunately I have cats that will gladly either eat the fish or knock over the tank, since they are endlessly fascinated with it. I am considering fashioning a plexi-glass top with areas cut out for a light filter, heater, etc.
__________________
bittenflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:37 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
bribo12's Avatar

Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Maryland
Posts: 9,367
My 10 had a hood and a koralia 240, along with an aqua clear 30 hob. PH did fine and my corals grew great
__________________
20 Gallon SPS reef
29 Gallon FW "fat catfish" tank
20 Gallon Long Dart Frogs "Zig" and "Zag"
bribo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BigRedsReefs10's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,890
Starting a new 10g saltwater tank

Petco sells hinged glass lids for standard tanks
__________________
BigRedsReefs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 12:17 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
mkiley0598's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by bittenflame View Post
I am running a standard 10 gallon. I am starting with fish only first then moving to soft corals later on. I can definitely pick up a power head if needed. I wish I could have no lid, but unfortunately I have cats that will gladly either eat the fish or knock over the tank, since they are endlessly fascinated with it. I am considering fashioning a plexi-glass top with areas cut out for a light filter, heater, etc.

In my experience the plexi glass I used began to get warped and droop down closer to the water, probably from the heat produced by the light. I would go with a glass top if you can.
__________________
mkiley0598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:50 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
I will look into the glass ones. The light won't have any trouble going through the glass?

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
bittenflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:24 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BigRedsReefs10's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,890
No but you'll have to clean salt creep off of it probably once a week or so
__________________
BigRedsReefs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:42 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 16
That would be fine. That way I can look into the clip on led lights

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
bittenflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:54 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
BigRedsReefs10's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 4,890
Honestly most clip on lights aren't vert good, for relatively cheap lighting for a 10 look into a par38. Reefkoi.com has there new ones out for $60 still I believe. If you want to spend a little more, I have the reefbreeders value fixture over my 10 and I love it
__________________

__________________
BigRedsReefs10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ate, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, star, start, starting, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hey saltwater ppl!:) Im new in the hobby and i set up a 10g Aquael Nano Reef tank 2 d Reefey Nano Reefs 8 01-11-2014 10:42 AM
Starting a 10g salt tank Dreamingdragon Saltwater Reef Aquaria 6 11-14-2012 04:00 PM
Starting a 10g feeder tank. Hiram1982 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 10-06-2009 02:38 PM
Starting a fry tank with a 10g mrspughster Freshwater & Brackish - Breeding 1 03-20-2006 09:04 PM
Converting my 10g freshwater to 10g Saltwater Aquarium Freak Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 7 11-18-2005 01:31 AM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×