Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2014, 03:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Starting a new 10g saltwater tank

Hello All! I am new to this, but have just started my 10 gallon salter aquarium. It was previously a freshwater tank. It is currently cycling. I took the water in for testing and the Ph was low, and nitrates and nitrites were high. I bought a reef buffer for the tank to try to help with the Ph. I also have yet to turn on the lights... unfortunately the hood I have only has screw in incandescent bulbs. I am not really planning on coral in the future, but if I were to it would only be soft corals. I am afraid of turning on these lights because of algae growth. Do you guys have any recommendations or screw in led bulbs that may help?

Old 01-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittenflame View Post
Hello All! I am new to this, but have just started my 10 gallon salter aquarium. It was previously a freshwater tank. It is currently cycling. I took the water in for testing and the Ph was low, and nitrates and nitrites were high. I bought a reef buffer for the tank to try to help with the Ph. I also have yet to turn on the lights... unfortunately the hood I have only has screw in incandescent bulbs. I am not really planning on coral in the future, but if I were to it would only be soft corals. I am afraid of turning on these lights because of algae growth. Do you guys have any recommendations or screw in led bulbs that may help?
Welcome to AA!! Congrats on the tank! Now onto your post, what exactly was the pH? Usually adding anything to the tank buffer wise isn't always the best. Since it's cycling no need for the lights? What source of water are you using? Rodi? Tap? Distilled? Light is only 1 factor in algae growth, nutrient export is more important IMO. Again, welcome and let us know if you have any more questions!

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:26 PM   #3

Thanks! I believe the Ph was 7.4. I took it to a local fish store to have it tested, and the guy who tested the water said that keeping the lights off lowers the Ph. He also recommended the buffer. I bought premade water from my chosen fish store (different place than where i had the water tested. ) I would like to put led lights in, but the highest k I can find in bulb form is 6500. I don't know if this would be ok.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-30-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Thanks! I believe the Ph was 7.4. I took it to a local fish store to have it tested, and the guy who tested the water said that keeping the lights off lowers the Ph. He also recommended the buffer. I bought premade water from my chosen fish store (different place than where i had the water tested. ) I would like to put led lights in, but the highest k I can find in bulb form is 6500. I don't know if this would be ok.

You will need to replace your good if you want leds. Also, yes lights off does give a lower ph but it shouldn't be that low. Take a sample of the premade water to be tested and see what it's pH is. Do you have live rock and sand in the tank?
Old 01-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #5

Yes, I have 10lbs of live rock and 10lbs of live sand. I have a bit of the premade water left over, however it is over a week old. Would it still be any good?

Old 01-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Yes, I have 10lbs of live rock and 10lbs of live sand. I have a bit of the premade water left over, however it is over a week old. Would it still be any good?

Should be fine
Old 01-30-2014, 04:51 PM   #7

I will have to take it in then

Old 01-30-2014, 05:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just got 2 rapid led screw in bulbs!
They are nice and work well! Mine were 89$ a piece
Old 01-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you have any flow? A power head for water movement? It will be hard to get a good ph with a closed lid...
Old 01-30-2014, 07:39 PM   #10

There is an over the back filter. I was told that would create enough flow

Tags
ate, salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, star, start, starting, tan, tank, water

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com