Starting a Saltwater Reef Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tieberion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, Have multiple freshwater tanks, but have always wanted a reef tank. Many web pages on the start up, but they all seem "incomplete". Like you have to take the best of each page and try to put it out, from starter live rock, to lighting, to what level/how much salt do I put in?

I clicked on the links that are sticked here, but it leads to a page not found.
Anyways, I would love if anyone knows, rights, etc a complete guide to starting say a 30 to 40 gallon tank with mostly corals and live rock, plus the obligatory clown fish or shrimp.
Thanks!

This is great. That's the exact setup I want when I cross over to saltwater. Following this.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

If its just fish then your tank size is OK. However if its reef I personally would go at least 55 if not bigger.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If I were you I would do a 40 breeder tank. This is what I have, it has good dimensions and is a great tank for a first reef in my experience.

If its just fish then your tank size is OK. However if its reef I personally would go at least 55 if not bigger.

Paul has one of the most beautiful reefs I've ever seen and it's a 40 breeder. Check his thread out.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Paul has one of the most beautiful reefs I've ever seen and it's a 40 breeder. Check his thread out.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Yea, anyone can go any size they want granted if they got the experience on nano tank.

He just starting out and coming from fresh water, personally I think 55g is big enough to handle some changes in the water parameters without killing off the live stock.

I just started my first reef 5 months ago and it's a 40 breeder and haven't had any problems. I do a 5 gallon waterchange every other week and nitrate stays around 5. It's all about personal preference though when it comes to tank size.

True, personally I lIke to go as big as my budget allows me

Thanks I'll look through all of those. Really want the corals, etc, more than fish. I saw a reef rock with plug holes in it in a catalog, then saw small corals, amobea, etc at my lfs that were small but on plugs to fit those rocks. Also the blue light where they glow is my end game.

Sounds like you're set on a 30-40, however there is something to be said for tiny reefs. They often look more full, and smaller reef inhabitants can really stand out in a smaller system. I kept a 3gal for a year and two months before taking it down, with water changes once a month - I kept everything from softies to some more difficult sps. Plus coral looks awesome when you can see it only two inches away :)

Back
Top Bottom