Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Starting a saltwater tank

Hi everyone, I'm new to the saltwater world and have been doing LOTS of research. Have read mixed things about certain things so I want input. I'm only starting a 29 gallon and I'm going to have an HOB filter. I have a marineland bio wheel 200 will that work or not? I've heard the bio wheel isn't great for saltwater tanks. Also if I do a FOWLR tank will a protein skimmer be 100% necassary or is it ok to wait u till I start doing live coral? I eventually will get a skimmer but just wondering if it's needed with the FOWLR? Thanks for reading hope you can help

Old 02-26-2011, 02:51 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a biowheel 200 on my 29, gallon it works well, I would rather have a sump though. My biowheel has a "sweet spot" for the water level, too high and it splashes all over my light, too low and there are a ton of microbubbles, just right and it works great. As for the skimmer, on a tank that small you can get away without one, just keep up with weekly partial water changes, don't overfeed and test your water weekly. My skimmer has been broken for some time and my levels are fine. I also do have corals so you should not have a problem with fowlr.

Welcome to AA and good luck with your new tank.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #3

Cool this helps me out- thanks- What kinda fish you have in yours, thats my next step figuring out what i can have in a small tank.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have three anemones (they are a pain in the rear I do not recommend them) and a clown fish. I wanted corals more than fish. I purchased this tank used, it was not well taken care of, I almost have this rectified. Soon I will look into another fish, maybe a goby. Sadly you are limited on the Amount/type of fish you have in a 29 gallon. What are you thinking of getting? These are good choices for a small tank http://liveaquaria.com/product/aquar...t=1&page_num=1
Old 02-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #5

Well my wife wants a couple clowns of course, but I would like to get into doing corals too. Makes a tank look nice! Maybe some gobys too. I forget the name of the fish but it's bright green with spots highlighted in that blue glowing color... Idk I'll have to look again. I like some damsels but they get pretty mean I hear.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Clowns can be mean as well (they are related to damsels). If I were you I would get the clowns after the more peaceful fish. That way the clowns don't take over the tank and pester new additions. I am trading off my clown for that reason, he thinks he is the king and won't let me get a peaceful fish. He won't let me put my hand in the tank without biting either lol. Once I get the fish I want I'll get another clown, they are very cool fish with lots of personality and interesting swimming pattern.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #7

Oh good to know. I've been researching a bit so I'm still learning. Not setting my tank up for a couple weeks so I'm learning everything now haha. Yea clowns are awesome. I like the black clown. How big of a power head do you use?
Old 02-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

That's good, research is key to success in this hobby. Make sure you read up on fishless cycling.

At the moment I use two petco powerheads 300ish gph. They don't work well, soon I will be upgrading to two of these http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...oralia&x=0&y=0
Old 02-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #9

Oh yea those are what I want! Te ones in the link. You recommend 2? What size? Yea i have learned slot researching so I'll keep doing it. Fishless cycling, doesn't that take weeks?
Old 02-26-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was going to go with two of the 425 gph.

Fishless cycling can take weeks, but it is faster and safer then cycling with fish. Here is an article about how to cycle without fish. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articl...ank/Page1.html I defiantly recommend cycling without fish as do most people on this forum. It will help you be successful in this hobby, risk less fish lives and it is way easier. By the way there are alot if great articles at the top of AA's home page (Try to read as many as you can). Hope this helps.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, starting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com