starting new tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ducati2242

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ive only been in salt water marines for 2 1/2 months but im already itching to have a bigger tank. Ive got a boyu 550 25 gallon ish tank . All the pumps etc in the back. I purchased some real nice rock from someone who was giving up so I got everything going very quickly and have had no real set backs.

I have ordered a 41"x16"x20" tank and a 24"x12"x14" sump . Ive already asked about a return pump and have purchased a
Ehiem 1262 (900 gph) pump.
An AQUAMEDIC TURBOFLOTOR 1000 BLUE PROTEIN SKIMMER MARINE.
A TMC V2 Vecton 200 lt Marine Aquarium UV Steriliser.
Heater .
That will go in the sump.

Ive ordered egg crate for the bottom and will be using 1" ( ? ) of 3mm coral sand . Unless im advised different.
Do I need any thing else , apart from rock , that I will struggle to put in later.

He's talking about macroalgae like what Mike said. You can let it run rampant in the sump, with very little pruning, and it helps with the export of excess nutrients such as phosphates and nitrates which are bad for coral in high levels. Having macroalgae in the sump/fuge would definitely be a great idea and will help out your tank's ecosystem a great deal.

Also, i suggest ditching the coral sand. Because of it's large and rigid shapes, detritus will get caught between the crushed coral pieces, and then your clean-up-crew can't get to it, and it would take you a lot to clean it out with a hose. If you also fail to clean it and just leave it over time, it will begin producing nitrates, which is bad. I also think it just looks plain old UGLY in the marine tank. I hate crushed coral sandbeds.. they look so unnatural to me.

What you want to use is DRY aragonite sand. It comes in many sizes like sugar sized, rice grain sized, etc.. Many others as well. Definitely go for the dry aragonite.. you will not regret it. It is so much easier to clean for both you and your clean-up-crew, and it just looks so much better than any other type of substrate. I use sugar-sized Oolite sand and it's amazing.

Macroalgea and Aragonite . Ill see if I can find it . This is great advice thanks everyone.

Yup, get the chaeto. So far, besides mangroves i believe, it IS the best for nutrient export. It also doesn't spread like wildfire that much, such as caulerpa. Once caulerpa takes root.. it's almost impossible to eradicate it because even a little piece of root can grow back into a full plant, very quickly. If you have it in a sump or fuge, then it doesn't really matter and you can just prune it as it grows, but putting something like that in your main tank would spell disaster.. unless you like bubbly vines of algae all over the place lol.

Actually, i would skip on the miracle mud. It really does nothing for your coral that couldn't be accomplished through weekly water changes, and from having the fuge itself. Miracle mud is just a mess and i've heard more people say they've rather not used it at all.

Well I've used it for the last 18 months and when used correctly (as in low water flow through dead zone) it works very well,but each to their own.

I added the MM in my fuge years ago. but personally I dont see where it did anything. I wont mess with it next time. Also as far as the macro algea Cheato is not the best exporter of nutrients. It`s the safest but calerpa is by far the best. I use grape calerpa. Calerpa does run a slight risk but as long as you keep it pruned and lights on 24/7 in your fuge where you keep it you`ll be good to go.

I'm not a fan of egg crate on the bottom of the tank. Why do you wan't to. Maybe I need to learn more about it myself. Seems like I've heard stories of gases and other bad things that can live down there.

What makes you think it'll benefit you?

My thing with MM is that you're supposed to replace it every so many years. Forgot. Maybe it's yearly it advises to remove half of it and replace with new MM. That would be a pain I'm thinking.

I'm not a fan of egg crate on the bottom of the tank. Why do you wan't to. Maybe I need to learn more about it myself. Seems like I've heard stories of gases and other bad things that can live down there.

What makes you think it'll benefit you?

My thing with MM is that you're supposed to replace it every so many years. Forgot. Maybe it's yearly it advises to remove half of it and replace with new MM. That would be a pain I'm thinking.

If Im wrong to put egg crate in then I wont , Im new to this and need advice on everything , I was told that it was to keep the rock off the glass so that there was no point load when the sand moves and the rock settles. I intend on having a lot of rock. Got some in the shed livening up now.

Sorry i haven't bean on alot latley and everyone answered your question. If you have anymore questions i will try to answer them.

Back
Top Bottom